Any uC manufacturers have free c compilers?

I have been out of the design game for 5 odd years now. I would like to do a few projects, but its not worth it if I have to spend thousands on c compilers. I am too lazy to do assembler these days (thats what PC programming does to you!) so asm is out. Looking for small devices from atmel and zilog and the like. The last toughest requirement is I use windows, so no linux. Any suggestions?

Reply to
The Real Andy

Hey Andy,

I'm not sure about Zilog parts, but I know the Atmel AVR series has a GCC port. If you download AVR Studio from Atmel, and WinAVR (the GCC port) the 2 work quite well together. Most of the traditional unix stuff (makefiles etc) is hidden so it's very easy to use - more like a MS IDE. You can buy a JTAG debugger/programmer for parts I have been out of the design game for 5 odd years now. I would like

Reply to
Al Borowski

Actually, before I get 50 emails asking for one, this offer only applies to Andy. Sorry everyone else :)

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

nah! thats not nice;-)

goodluck to lucky Andy.

ali

Reply to
Ali

In addition to the AVR suggestions already posted - Microchip have 'student and 'evaluation' editions of their compilers (8 16 and 32bit CPUs covered). Also there are many small ARM7 and Cortex M3 based devices with which GCC can always be used, plus code size limited versions of commercial ARM compilers. For an example see

Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
14 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Fujitsu has a free C-compiler for their MB90Fxxx family.

--
Reinhardt Behm, Bodenheim, Germany, reinhardt.behm@t-online.de
Reply to

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 02:09:21 -0800 (PST), I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Ali instead replied:

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

GCC is available for quite a few architectures:

Atmel AVR and AVR32, Freescale 6812 and 68K, TI MSP430, Hitachi H8, and ARM based controllers from a half dozen different vendors.

There's also a free C compiler (SDCC?) for the 8051 family, but I can't vouch for it.

--
Grant
Reply to

The r8c/m16c/m32c family is supported by GCC and, although I don't have a windows build handy, it certainly does build there (I don't have a linux build handy either, so there! ;)

You can also download eval versions of their tools from their web site, including a programming tool. I also have the programming specs, and linux-based programmers.

You can also download free pre-built toolchains from kpitgnutools.com

Reply to
DJ Delorie

An engineer with one client had done some PIC16 projects with a compiler called C2C, and this compiler ... had some problems ... in the version he used.

C2C has upgraded into a commercial product called BOOSTC, which costs about $150 per licence, and this one has been working quite decently for PIC16 and PIC18 projects. It doesn't cost thousands.

Also check out the free Small Device C compiler (SDCC) for 8051 and a few others.

Mel.

Reply to
Mel

You don't have to spend $1000's. The Imagecraft tools start at USD199 and are available for AVR, ARM, MCP430 & CPU12. You can download a demo which is fully functional for 45 days and then becomes code limited, but will still be perfectly adequate for most hobby projects.

John B
Reply to
John B

I'm using linux as a development platform for Freescale Coldfire

52235, but the same gnu toolchain is available for Windows (even though I've never used it):

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Originally 8051 parts but also targets Z80, HC08 and, somewhat, PIC 16 and 18 chips. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done. I've developed with it for Infineon C515C and Atmel AT89C51CC03 (both varieties use 8051-style cores).

Reply to
Rich Webb

If you prefer a more "commercial" solution, I should have also mentioned that Rowley Crossworks is available for "personal" use for UKP75. They have suport for ARM, AVR, MSP430, and MaxQ:

Grant
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Zilog has a free unlimited C compiler, available in their ZDS2 toolchain:

It runs on Windows, fully supports their dev boards, and those boards cost very little. You should check them out, as they seem to fit your bill perfectly.

Regards, D.

Reply to
D.

It is probably better to ask who does not :)

Most small parts have free compilers. Zilog are free across the whole range, Freescale are free up to a ceiling. Both these companies own Compiler companies.

Atmel AVR8, AVR32 and C51 all also have free c compilers.

You should also test the ICE pathways, that may matter more than the compilers.

Easiest access to ICE in the C51 series is via SiLabs, who also have very good analog performance, and low power (and that can matter more than 'which core') Atmel have AVR studio Debug tools, but their ICE pathways are at the more expensive end of the scale.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

If you prefer GCC *and* commercial, you can have that too. Companies like kpitcummings and Red Hat (my job) sell support for gcc-based cross compilers.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Thanks Robert. CAn you give me a bit more of a tip, perhaps a part number or series.?

Reply to
The Real Andy

Newest members of the ADUC7000 series.

They are ARM7 based (32 bit). You can get a completely free toolchain, suggest you lookup WinARM and openocd. Good experience, ARM is probably the most popular architecture for new devices, there is a vast range of parts available from many different manufacturers.

These particular variants are sufficiently new and obscure that I suspect you won't find any ready made 3rd paty development boards (e.g. from Olimex). ADI do sell one themselves for $250.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Analog doesn't exactly tout their microprocessors in an obvious fashion on the front page of their site. They are not included in the embedded processing section but rather under Analog microcontrollers. Take a look at

ADUC7033 ADUC7032-8L

They have 12V and 200mV A/D inputs (battery Voltage and current shunt inputs). And since they are ARM parts GCC and eval commercial packages should both work.

I don't know how readily available they are, but I do have a project in mind that might make use so a may check up in a while a find out (it's still a project that's on the horizon rather than active though).

Robert

Reply to
Robert Adsett