compact-flash/ide adapter

comp.arch.embedded compact-flash/ide adapter

A compact-flash/ide adapter (SD-CF-IDE-A) from dealextreme.com worked well but only as a master, not as a slave, which is a distinct bother. Anyone know of an ide adapter that works either way, either from dealextreme or another dealer?

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

This is not the fault of the adapter.

The Compact flash cards do not know about master/slave, so it does not have code to run that way.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

I think he's looking for a adapter that has a master/slave jumper setting.

Like the third picture down here:

They're about $15. We use them from time to time...

Reply to
JW

Does the slave jumper really work ??

Can you have a master thats a hard drive or another CF adapter ??

The ones I have used in the past did not do that correctly.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Hamilton - do you know where the compact-flash cards are deficient? I'm guessing they could simply ignore the drive bit in the drive/head register or be unaware of the SPSYNC/CSEL line that, if not used for spindle syncronization, can provide an inter drive communication about which is slave & which is master. Just guessing though; if you have a more clear understanding, it would be appreciated.

Hul

hamilt> > comp.arch.embedded

well

Reply to
dbr

Yes, but one important thing - The CF must be marked as a "Fixed disk" type, and support the ATA standard. A lot of the CF out there is for use in cameras, and will not master/slave properly. We use the Transcend industrial CF media.

Reply to
JW

I do not know the specific details.

I have tried this as a master and as a slave with hard drives and it did not work.

By them selves it worked in the master slot only.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton