CMOS Image sensor & Two-wire serial interface

Hi, I tried to look for similar topics in the archive but no luck.

I have a cmos image sensor, and it has a "two-wire serial interface" to read/write its on-chip registers. I tried to treat it like a I2C protocol, and fed a 100KHz at SCL, and write an address byte at SDA, but cannot get the acknowledge bit.

Is it about the values of pull-up resistors in SCL and SDA? Or the clocking frequency problem??

Thanks.

Kcin

Reply to
Kcin

yes. Or it might be something else. What does the data sheet tell you?

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Bob

It's a Micron's CMOS image sensor. The spec only describes both SCL and SDA should be pull up 3.3V with a 1.5k ohm resistors. No suggested clock rate of SCL. It does not have any signs of the word "i2c" as well, it calls it "Two-Wire Serial Interface". What standard is it really?

"Serial Bus Description Registers are written to and read from the MT9T001 through the two- wire serial interface bus. The MT9T001 is a two-wire serial interface slave and is controlled by the two-wire serial clock (SCLK), which is driven by the two-wire serial interface master. Data is transferred into and out through the MT9T001 through the two-wire serial interface data (SDATA) line. The SDATA line is pulled up to 3.3V off-chip by a 1.5K=D9 resistor. Either the slave or master device can pull the SDATA line down--the two-wire serial interface protocol determines which device is allowed to pull the SDATA line down at any given time."

Reply to
Kcin

I2C interfaces often aren't called I2C, presumably due to possible licensing/patent issues or subtle implementration differences. However the required waveforms will be in the datasheet.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

you need to get the full data sheet. Omnivision made us sign a NDA. Micron (Aptina) might require it too. Contact Aptina or their distributor if you have to. Bob

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Bob

According to the datasheet at

"The two-wire serial bus operation requires certain minimum master clock cycles between transitions. These are specified in the following diagrams in master clock cycles."...

and then there are a bunch of timing diagrams to peruse.

Reply to
srl100

I am actually working on the same thing and can not get an acknowledge either.

I am running from the LH a SCL of 100KHz and my PIXCLOCK (which is the master for the MT9T001) at ~ 2.5 MHz.

For some reason I still cannot get an acknowledge bit on I2C.

I checked the timing diagrams and a 2.5MHz clock should meet the minimum by far, but still nothing...

Anybody got any ideas?

--Daniel

Reply to
jakiechon

I tried to feed 100KHz and 400KHz to SCL @ 48MHz master clock, but still no ack bit.

I will try to lower SCL to 80KHz.

More, I am wondering if SCL depends on the master clock.

I read several specs and it seems that many of their cmos run with this "2-wire serial interface". What is the trick really?

Thanks.

Kicn

ms

Reply to
Kcin

Did anyone ever resolve this issue. I am trying to write to a similir image sensor and not receiving the ACK. I am using a bit bang I2C implementation. I have reviewed the image sensor timings and I am well within spec.

Thanks, Elliott

enelson13

Which timings have you checked? Video or I2C?

I would actually suggesting capturing your I2C communications on a digital scope and checking what is happening and that your are sending the right information.

Often these sorts of problems end up as

Incorrect bit pattern (address/data) Incorrect waiting for bit times incorrect or open connections incorrect voltage levels used incorrect I2C termination incorrect oscillator on imager Some other configuration on the imager missing/wrong

It is very, very rarely the device at fault, sometimes the documentation.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter