Wow 460800 Bd via USB to serial adaptor works!

Wow 460800 Bd via USB to serial adaptor works!

Wanted to add a par port to my laptop, or at least some I/O pins. At 460800 Bd you can send a byte in 2.17 uS.

That means if I want to test I2C chips via USB to RS232 adaptor, and use only one state flip per bit, something that requires 4 bytes RS232 per I2C bit processing, for example: SDA high SCL high SCL low SDA low

makes 10.8 uS / I2C bit. That is close enough to the 100 kHz I2C spec. To send an I2C byte that way takes 86.4 uS, makes about 11 kB / second.

I2C is not normally sensitive to interruptions due to OS task switching, so this should work 100 % OK.

So now program a PIC 18F14K22 as I2C interface, just in and out pins. Can be used for many other things too.

Oh, I already did that, but need to modify for 460900 Bd. Actually you can use the output to program a PIC too via serial protocol. Is not very fast though.

Testing I2C this way is nice, need to test temperature, pressure, compass sensors now. Measure it works before going embedded.

But this also means that for little bits of data, like reading compass and pressure etc, you can use a cheap Linux based Android with USB to serial adaptor to address passive board with sensors?

Question can Android do that? Can I get a command line and program those in C?

Ha! and a free display.

Maybe it is the temperature here, global warming, OR all embedded will be replaced by Androids. :-)

Hey I scoped this, the math seems right.

Androids go for < 100 Euro these days, embedded boards with I/O header for I2C and powerful processor are > 100 Euro, who needs strawberries and Olimexes?

I better stop here, I can feel earth moving.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I wrote: Corection!

Wow 460800 Bd via USB to serial adaptor works!

Wanted to add a par port to my laptop, or at least some I/O pins. At 460800 Bd you can send a byte in 2.17 uS.

But a byte in 17,36 us Desillusion :-)

But could send / read one data byte and use the PIC i2c interface...

That means if I want to test I2C chips via USB to RS232 adaptor, and use only one state flip per bit, something that requires 4 bytes RS232 per I2C bit processing, for example: SDA high SCL high SCL low SDA low

makes 69 uS / I2C bit. is close enough to the 100 kHz I2C spec. To send an I2C byte that way takes 556 uS, makes about 1.1 kB / second.

And the rest is correct.

Android for my flight computah, Have to think about that :-)

Before ordering some silly ARM embedded board with 80 MHz clock. Just checked about 275 embedded boards on ebay. oops.

sensors now.

pressure etc,

passive

and powerful

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

An Android smart phone as flight computah

So, after doing some 'googling'

Yes, can install Ubuntu on most if not all recent Androids:

Yes if using a smartphone we get:

Camera looking down. Global communication with the space^H^H^H^H^Haircraft. Can send pictures of where it was directed by GPS flight software. Can drop flowers at remote command or pre-programmed, as now it can, via USB control the ..craft's servos, and read its sensors.. Had build in long duration power source. Has build in real time clock. Accepts SDcard with data (whatever). Has very fast processor. Can record video to that SDcard. Has GPS Has a G sensor Has a digital compass Some GB RAM, some 1/2 GB FLASH. So fork out about 100 Euro (or whatever more for extra features you want).

I have decided to order one (SIM lock free), and see if I can get Ubuntu running on it, for use as my flight computah. It beats the same features as in an embedded computah suitable for flight control in all aspects. for the price.

You can keep your raspberries and strawberries and other peeseebees with arms or other professors.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

..

ors..

.

running on it,

control in all aspects.

arms or other professors.

Do you ever get the feeling you are just talking to yourself here on SED? :^)

I'll post some more about differential amps....

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Wed, 23 May 2012 11:12:10 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Of course many here do not have the needed neurons to grasp the deep meaning of what we post. But there are also many lurkers, who use the things we design and play with for their own projects,. About once every few years I check the source files downloads from my website, and if I got a dollar for each I could spend some time with the hula girls on a warm island :-) OTOH it is sort of a heat wave here now.. accelerated explosive global warming, we sure have hands on experts on that here.

Oh man I had such a cool idea this morning to make a million buck in a few weeks that I may just try it.. would be sort of legal too. hehe :-) I guess, as times are getting bad (nothing but bad news about economy and Euro here), it may come to a point where I have to adapt to - and use some more challenging strategies to get enough money for my spacecraft so I can move to an other suitable planet before they start spraying nukes in frustration.

Of course, as to (one of) the subject(s) making all them little embedded boards redundant with one post here will upset many too. Well there is evolution, many times using commercially mass produced and thus very cheap things beats older technology. You gotta move with the flow, yesterday night I downloaded the Android SDK. It crashed.. so anyways (the Linux SDK) I will try it on a third machine later. (the second had no java it seems to need that). Since last night the Dealextreme GPS no longer can get any satellites, thought it was the thunderstorm, but now the sky is clear, could be temperature too. So a say HTC Android (I am done with Samsung) would fix that too. Maybe the Dealextreme will pick up satellites later.... maybe it was a black helicopter sending an EMP.... The recent military exercises (airport near me) clocked 130 dB sound level (somebody got a calibrated meter), and people complained, I wonder about the radar etc level..

Anyways did you try Thorium on your green LEDs? Would make a cheap radiation meter, could sell a lot to worried Japanese, fear sells.

Still reading this?

I read those thing you post, maybe not ALL the replies. It is on topic at least, and not littered by commercial adds for design or fast pulse services. If it really needed one of those .... well whatever,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Says the dork that does full quote reposts of his own CRAP!

You are beginning to be as bad as or worse than SkyTard Failing.

Reply to
WoolyBully

=3D

=3D

nt)=3D

tu =3D

ght=3D

th =3D

ing of

th

site,

rming,

w weeks that

Euro here),

enging strategies

planet before

K.

later.

ought it was the thunderstorm,

Grin... maybe the GPS just died.

l (somebody

etc level..

fear sells.

No. It's in the back of my brain though. I've got too much 'real' work to do.

r fast pulse services.

Yeah it appears that 'differential amp' and 'good step response' are not two things that people typically need. I was looking at this fast instrument amp from analog (AD8429) and for unity gain there is all sorts of ringing on the step response.

I made the 'classic' one opamp differece amp yesterday, and with

*only* two tweaker caps got a resonable step response.

Maybe I'll have time today, to try active quenching again.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 May 2012 05:55:28 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

I dunno what it was, but I remembered something like: 'Do not touch GPS antenna' I had touched it several times doing some measurements to see how fast I could send RS232. So... I touched it again ;-). It started working again a few minutes later. Gave me a chance to add some messages to the soft in case there is no location fix. It displayed 'last valid position', but now also 'no last valid position' if it could not get a fix, versus latitude 0 longitude 0 altitude 0.... in the old version.

That would tell you if it actually is sensitive in that energy range.

Well, in video those things are needed very often.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Sorry Jan, its only what YOU post.

Your the ONLY one with the BIG INDIAN CHIEF CAD system and BIG INDIAN CHIEF editor.

But, keep up the good work, I am sure you are pleasing your self.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

beep parse error.

:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 May 2012 13:56:00 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

send RS232.

fix.

old version.

Found what it really was. tried to program a recording with the Cinergy USB HD sat receiver, looked at the display of my software 'xdipo', it indicated bit errors, lotsa bit errors. In the long ago past I had similar bit errors when using a fan with a DC electric motor. Went around the house with a radio looking for motor noises (electrical). No luck. Unplugged about everything one by one, except the USB sat receiver, no luck. Deduced it MUST then be the last (Murphy's law) device and that WAS the sat receiver. Unplugged it and plugged it in again. No more bit errors, and GPS better than ever! Now it seems the sat box PLL was not locking and the IF sweeping all over the GPS band... Lot more satellites all of the sudden! satellites used 25 9 12 29 2 31 satellites in view 11 id 25 * elevation 80 azimuth 287 snr 29 id 12 * elevation 51 azimuth 83 snr 21 id 29 * elevation 44 azimuth 201 snr 27 id 14 elevation 35 azimuth 245 snr 18 id 31 * elevation 33 azimuth 305 snr 20 id 2 * elevation 32 azimuth 83 snr 21 id 4 elevation 19 azimuth 44 snr 0 id 9 * elevation 13 azimuth 143 snr 26 id 27 elevation 3 azimuth 142 snr 0 id 32 elevation 2 azimuth 318 snr 0 id 20 elevation 1 azimuth 343 snr 0

Reply to
Jan Panteltje