CAN J1939 protocol

I have a question to all those guys who have experience with CAN bus software and protocol J1939:

We should interface to the vehicle CAN bus with our product. The customer has defined about 10 messages which we should send continously. These messages are defined as J1939 standard messages.( so what?)

Should I need to buy all J1939 packet stack for this purpose? Or I can simply implement these messages according to the spec without using J1939?

In the past I interfaced the other CAN device using the messages defined by the device manufacturer and everything worked OK without using the J1939, although later on I learned that this device conforms to the J1939. What does the conformity means? Except the fact that it should be extended CAN version 2.0B.

Why I should by the whole J1939 package for implementing some 10 messages? We are confused by all those customers which talk about J1939 maybe without knowing what are they talking about! Is there something else which I don't understand? Please let me know your opinion. Yossi

Reply to
yossi_sr

There is no unique "CAN bus software" people could have experience with. There's the CAN bus specification about hardware and protocol. There are lots of hardware implementations of that specification, and lots of software suites operating on those to make CAN bus easier to manage.

If you have to ask, you shouldn't be trying to roll your own.

You'll need the spec to have at least a chance of finding out whether you got your treatment of those 10 messages right. Whether or not you need a pre-made protocol implementation depends on lots of things nobody but you can assess (time frame, experience, qualification requirements, skill, ...).

You pretty much admitted _you_ don't know what they're talking about. Do you really think you're in a position to question your client's knowledge?

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Because that could be the difference between selling your product and not! Remember there are probably a bunch of other ECU's on the bus so they all have to be talking the same language and use the same meanings and phrasing.

An example question for you is what does your ECU do if it goes bus off? And assuming it does something, is this what your customer wants it to do? Maybe implementing a ready made J1939 package will sort this out for you.

--
DaveN
Reply to