Beginner: Softune / start.asm / bus mode

Hello experts,

just doing my first steps in development for Fujitsu MB90F345 using Softune. The basic problem is: how do I tell the chip to run in single chip mode? I know about the pins MD0, MD1 and MD2, but the manuals mention some data in memory called mode data, and the bit format of this is documented. But I don't know how to write this mode data into memory.

As far as I have understood, there is some option "BUSMODE" for the compiler or in the file start.asm. But in the compiler docs, no such option is mentioned, and I don't know how to use this option within start.asm.

So could anyone tell me how to use the busmode option within start.asm? Any example code? I would also be interested in a link to the manual where this is documented...

Thank you very much!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Pfannenschmid

Hi, in the startup file you should see a section (4.8) "external bus interface". There are some set instructions, the 4th one should say:- set busmode single_chip. The mode data is stored above the reset vector, the compiler puts it there for you, and the processor reads it in automaticaly at reset. Make sure the mode pins are correct.

Reply to
CBarn24050

Then, my installation of Softune must be incomplete. After a fresh install of 3.5, there are some files with the name pattern start*.asm in the "sample" and "lib" directory of the Softune installation, basically all with similar contents. There is no file with section numbers and no file with the content you mentioned. So please, if I may you bother again: how is the exact name of the startup file, and where is the exact location (relative to the softune installation or the project directory)? And how do I "activate" it?

I even greped my whole harddrive for files with the word "busmode", but no results! So it's definitely not there...

Thanks again,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Pfannenschmid

Hi, I have an earlier version than you. If you look in the sample dir you should find start.asm or something similar. Bring it up on the editor and look for the bus control section it should be self explanatory. If not you could try inserting the line SET MODEBYTE 0 Modebyte sould be difined in the .h files and .asm files for your chip. After you compile you can check address ffffdf is should be 00 for single chip operation.

Reply to
CBarn24050

Thanks again for your help! I've identified the problem in the meantime: A few days ago, when we tried to get Softune, we were in a great hurry; so, instead of waiting for the CDs, we convinced someone to mail us the installation archive before the CDs reached us. Then we installed from the archive we got by mail and did a few tests; but unfortunately, this archive did not include the samples with the right start.asm. Yesterday, we got the CDs, and behold: There is an extra installation archive for many more samples on the CDs, with the right start.asm. So I suppose I will be happy (busy) on the next days.

By the way, it will be Fujitsu's secret forever why they put the software in the "PDF" directory of their CDs...

CBarn24050, your tips were a great help because you confirmed what I had to hunt for... All the start.asm, startup options, and the relationship between C compiler and assembler is a little bit confusing if you are used only to a simple AVR AT90S8515 ...

Yours sincerely,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Pfannenschmid