at91rm9200dk u-boot port messed up...

Since I'm doing a port for an architecture using also SPI flash for booting u-boot I need to remove the existing CFG_DATAFLASH configuration which should be portable as the name says but it is hardcoded only for the AT91RM9200DK platform.

Don't know which one came to this idea also naming the AT45DB driver to dataflash.c.

Asking here if someone could test the my changes so not only AT91RM9200 platforms can use SPI flash for booting u-boot and I can't afford an expensive development kit just to clean up the u-boot sources which should have been done by the intial writer.

rick

Reply to
jedi

Hi Rick,

Dataflash is an Atmel Trademark so it is correct to use the name "dataflash.c" for an AT45DBxxx specific driver and CFG_DATAFLASH for the configuration

Atmel does not call AT25Fxxx chips Dataflash(tm) even if they are flash and use the SPI bus.

CFG_DATAFLASH should be used for AT45DB and nothing else or you willl be violating the trademark. If you have another SPI flash you need to come up with "CFG_SPIBOOT" or something else.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Thought that this would be some trademark issue...

but then again this would mean that in the "common" source tree

2 different configurations are using the same code...which should have been avoided by firstly using "CFG_SPI_BOOT" in the common source tree.

So it is just bad coding in my and others oppinion by thinking that Atmel might be the only platform using SPI (o;

Guess I have to go through all the "trademark" mess and remove all appearance of "CFG_DATAFLASH" in the "common/" source tree...

rick

Reply to
jedi

And you will test these modifications thoroughly to ensure that you do not break AT91RM9200 support? I suggest you let things remain if you dont plan to do that and add your own configurations elsewhere. I think that this forum is the wrong place to have this debate. There are good distribution list with a lot of knowledgeable people that can judge the consequences of your actions.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Don't plan to spend 1600 Euros just for cleaning up code (o;

May I take this personally? (o;

rick

Reply to
Jedi