ARM core, PWM, USB

Any time someone posts something like this I think "oh yea, go hit the web sites, you lazy @#%$".

But this time it's different. Because this time it's me.

(Damn I'm glad that I'm not self-centered. And I'm good looking, smart, and modest, too).

My ideal processor, for the project that I'm contemplating, would have the following pins:

Power ground reset

6x PWM pins (for a brushless motor) one fault input (for the PWM) three analog inputs two USB pins (really basic is fine -- it just needs to look like serial) one general-purpose I/O three JTAG pins.

In this 19-pin package (OK, give me another GPIO, I won't argue) would be a processor with an ARM core (probably a Cortex M3), at least 8 to 16k of flash, and 1k of RAM.

The closest I've found is an Atmel part with 48 pins, which actually isn't too bad given the alternatives. But if anyone knows of anything better, or even just as good, let me know!!

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

,

Tim, What about the Freescale K-10? 32-pin QFN package. I think it might have what you need.

Reply to
maury

How about LPC13xx, some of them are available in 32-VQFN, e.g. LPC1342FHN33

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

K-10 doesn't have USB -- but the K-20 does. Freescale claims a 32-pin package, but doesn't have a data sheet for it; Digikey doesn't list anything with less than 144 pins.

I'll keep my eye on it -- if it's new then maybe the 32-pin parts will materialize.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Thanks Artlet. The LPC1342FHN33 doesn't really have motor-control quality PWM output, but it's got enough that if I wanted to do the deadband control externally I could make it work -- and there might be one with better timer resources that would do the job.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

NXP's LPC2141 should fit the bill. Its available in devices with more flash & ram.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

LOL Xmega device suits you Sir !.... Even the simplest device has an 'event' controller- bit like a pseudo DMA. In your case, you can make a pwm out put to pwm input close dloop and or analogue I/p in to the event controller. Direct USB2 from internal RC oscillator

Reply to
TTman

I would go for STM32F102.. they are cheap w. .. got USB and a good range of flahs and RAM all on a LQFP48 package. Actually they are the best cortex-m3 i have used so far... i would get a 32k one as the ST USB stack is kind big... but if you can live with low flash you can buy it at digi key for down to 2.50 USD a piece...

Cya

Sink0

ARMs tend to not come in small-pin counts, but you could look at the new LPC11Uxx, which has a QFN32, and has a newer timer, that may be better for PWM ?

Or the Nuvoton NUC120 series, 5V operation and better PWM ? (but only TQF48) - these are in stock at Distis & have more Flash options.

For smaller pin counts, if the ARM is not that important, you could look at Microchip - something like a PIC24FJ has smaller packages ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Try Freescale DSC

they are made for motor control. Not sure if they have USB, but you can easily add a CP2102 as bridge SCI-USB.

Bye Jack

--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Reply to

Not really. For some reason the LPC2000 series has better PWM.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel