Anyone recognise this hex format?

Duh, tell that to someone who is on a modem connection, or worse, through a cell phone or satellite system...

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Peter Jakacki wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@dnews.tpgi.com.au:

Well, unless of course you are reading the messages after the retention period of your news provider has dumped the earlier messages, or, your new provider never got the message that was not quoted, yes, it really does still happen. Or, your news provider filtered it out due to binary content, as mine will.

Some news providers have a retention policy of just a few days.

--
Richard
Reply to

Man, these bottom-posters are turn-of-the-century religious fanatics ;) True I've bottom posted, I've top posted, I've snipped, I've been lazy, I have done all of those things. Many times it just depends on what is appropriate. Forcing a paricular style onto everybody is like forcing everybody to be right-handed, I think they stopped doing that but it might only of been around 50 years ago. Do we have to wait another 50 years for top posting to be accepted?

But I'd rather not have any quoted material in a post unless it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, let alone having to sit there and carefully snip and snip when posting and then scroll and scroll when reading.

CLICK CLICK CLICK - there, I've just read three top posts.

K.I.S.S.

my5cents

Peter Jakacki

Reply to
Peter Jakacki

Outlook users who complain about RSI from scrolling through bottom posted messages should learn how to use their reader. By just pressing the spacebar, you scroll though the message AND select the next message when you've reached the end of one....

So, PRESS PRESS PRESS PRESS - there, I've just read two to four properly snipped bottom posts...

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

You bitch about having to scroll down to the bottom of a posting past unneeded quoted matermial, and yet you force people to do exactly that by failing to trim your quotes.

Sheesh.

No, you don't. The 'rule' is to trim quotes.

What you're doing is just as bad as top-posting.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hey, waiter! I want
                                  at               a NEW SHIRT and a PONY TAIL

Please be careful to remove the slug. Don't want the dogs to get lead poisening...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! Did something
                                  at               bad happen or am I in a

Fine. Whatever. I'm truely amazed how religious some of you are. I'm an engineer, not a professional editor. How am I to decide if a specific sentence should or should not be included in a quote? Before I know it, there's yet someone else offended by me not including enough. Or by leaving too much in. What utter nonsense...

I use these groups as a very valuable resource. From time to time I may be able to help someone else out. Give and take. Live and let live. Don't like my style? Use the *ploink* button.

As far as I'm concerned, end of subject

Rob

Reply to
Rob Turk

What I find interesting is that top posting is the de facto standard for email replies and I have never heard *anyone* bitch about it.

Bob

--
"Just machines that make big decisions
 programmed by fellas with compassion and vision."

You claim to be an engineer, yet you can't even make up your mind on the significance of a few sentences? I wonder how you got that degree.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Hofmann

On Wednesday, in article snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au "Peter Jakacki" wrote: .....

Even simpler method *plonk*

Fed by drivel from top posters that assume the whole world has exactly the same information and presentation at the SAME time.

Don't get me started about idiots who can't drive their email and top post their email replies with HTML versions as well!

--
Paul Carpenter		| paul@pcserv.demon.co.uk
        Main Site

... snip ...

What is the purpose of that 'reply' in the first place? Is it simply to exercize your fingers, and show that the link to your news server is functioning, or is it to impart or request information from others? If the latter, it seems sensible to make the reply both legible and understandable. Doing so involves removing extraneous matter.

     USE worldnet address!
Reply to
CBFalconer

I'd rather teach somebody who can communicate how to engineer than teach somebody who can engineer how to communicate.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Do you guys know we
                                  at               just passed thru a BLACK

Only in the non-civilized, post-Microsoft world.

I'll complain louder next time. ;)

-- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Mary Tyler Moore's at SEVENTH HUSBAND is wearing visi.com my DACRON TANK TOP in a cheap hotel in HONOLULU!

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Agree with what? Something on the next screen of the message, I presume, but I'm not going to bother searching for it.

"long longish posts" that have only one point probably do not need to be quoted in full.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

No, you don't. You quoted the entire article, even including the sig block, when you were responding to at most two sentences.

Unfortunately, it's your kind of "rule" which provides justification for the top-posters. No rules are needed, just common sense.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer

It wasn't the de facto standard before Microsoft Outlook, and personally, I hate it. I particularly hate it when the mail is sent in a mode which actively prevents me from interspersing replies (that idiot blue bar down the edge of the quoted text - does anyone know how to get rid of it?) Many times, I discuss technical points via email, and not having the ability to respond point by point is frustrating, confusing to the reader, and error-prone.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer

What does the failure to quote appropriately have to do with top-posting?

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer

Yes, because we all know how long an extra kb takes to download. How many people read newsgroups on a mobile phone?

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

Well, if you can't be bothered to read the previous post in the thread, thats your problem, not mine.

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

Alan Balmer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, nothing, left that for context as to what the prior person topposted a reply to. Personally topposting vs bottomposting is not that huge a deal, so long as most folks use the same convention. My reply illustrates the problem of mixing the two. The response was to what you snipped, posted by Peter Jakacki:

"Unless you are using an old unix terminal with a command line driven email client that is humming away in a disused university basement you will have no doubt clicked and read the previous posts in this thread within the last few seconds. So with a single I can see the current post without having to refresh my memory yet once again by scrolling down down down through the previous post(s).

There are a great deal of emails and posts to scan through quickly and not having the luxury of spending all day on them, I really can't see the logic in repeatedly scrolling through previous posts trying to find the relevant detail.

The order is not really 4321 (CBFalconer's footer) but "click click click click". Any quotes or parts thereof from previous posts are purely there for courtesy and reference such as when we are printing it out occasionally or if the original post is very old (as posts go)."

--
Richard
Reply to