Format for XYRS file

I am being told that the XYRS file my CAD software generates is 180 degrees out. I guess there is some sort of convention or standard, but I can't find where that is described. I get the impression that most assembly houses are happy to even get a file.

The program I am using has options for selecting things like the rotation direction. How do I know what is correct? In the emails I have exchanged, the assembly house seems to feel that whatever works with their machine is the "correct" convention even if they can't tell me what it is. Anyone know how to define the data in the XYRS file?

Reply to
rickman

I forgot to mention that I found that gerbv can load in XYRS files along with Gerber files. But when I tried to use it on my machine, it crashes when I try to open a Gerber file. No joy...

Are there any other programs that will let you view XYRS files?

Reply to
rickman

These guys seem to be say>[...]I found that gerbv can load in XYRS files

That's the only one I know of.

Reply to
JeffM

them.http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:mT33rN6fz_QJ:www.aapcb.com/Resou...

Actually, the guys you quote above provide a program, BOMbuilder, that can read in your BOM and XYRS along with the gerbers to *show* you how the parts will be placed. I tried it, but I found it to be a lot of work. Plus, when I tried to get a quote from them, they didn't seem to really care about the output of the program. I got the impression that they don't consider it a useful front end tool for their use. Maybe I didn't get the correct impression, or maybe I have not learned enough about the tool yet.

Reply to
rickman