Another vga device question

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > Is there a DSP/micro with capability to directly get connected to CRT/ > LCD display.

I am also looking for something not quite like this, but along the same lines. We have a Windows application and would like a bare-bones cheap interface to a display via Ethernet. It would be Ethernet in, VGA (or even RCA) out, the only intelligence necessary would be to recognize a jpeg file coming in and render it to the output.

We have located at least one "media player" type device that might be coerced do what we want, but it is targeted to the entertainment market and would be massive overkill for what we want to do. We don't actually need an onboard file system, for example - the images would be stored on the PC. Nor do we care about video or audio.

Thanks,

-rick-

Reply to
Rick Lones

Just to muddle up this thread a bit more, I am planning a DSP box based on a TMS320 series ISA board (which I happen to have in quantity) which runs under Win3.1. The target will be a PC-104 board with this one peripheral and a ROM-DOS and flash file system. I would actually prefer to strip the display controller from the CPU board (or find a 386/486 SBC with only RAM, ROM and a COM port. The DSP board runs an RTOS which is managed by an app on the Win3.1 host. I would appreciate pointers to any "mini" Windows 3.1 development resources -- an example of a mini Win 3.1 application is MS's 'scsi interrogator' which resides on a 1.44 MB floppy and boots to a customized Windows interface. I can't use WinPE or BartPE; the DSP's manager needs canonical Win16.

Replies appreciated.

Michael

Reply to
msg

it

do

file

The ProASIC/Arm chip should be more than enough to receive ethernet, decode jpg and drive VGA.

OK, Ulf, AT91CAPXXX works too.

Reply to
linnix

only

it

do

file

I like the AT91 just fine - but we are looking to buy, not build . . .

Maybe I just don't know the right name for what I am talking about, because it has to be out there. We have looked at a "media player", which can drive a TV with video, audio, still pictures, etc. under control of a PC "entertainment center" type program. The device has the right I/O configuration - Ethernet in, RCA plug out (thogh I think we would prefer a standard PC video monitor connector out). Hobbyists seem to like it, it looks like it might be possible to send a .jpg through it, it's under $100 - but it is way overkill for what we are trying to do. For one thing I would just as soon not interact with some onboard file system - send a .jpg over Ethernet with some appropriate headers and have it displayed is all we need.

What we are after, really, is just a cheap remote display that has an Ethernet port (wired and/or wireless) and would know what to do with a .jpg that arrives over it. Are there such things? If so, no intermediate box would be needed.

-rick-

Reply to
Rick Lones

lines.

to a

only

render it

coerced do

file

How many? For the right price, someone will build it for you.

in,

ProASIC can be done for less than $50, qty 1K AT91CAP can be done for less than $30, qty 10K

Reply to
linnix