Accessing external I2C EEPROM with Cypress EZ-USB dev kit

Hi,

I have the Cypress FX2LP development kit, and according to the manual, I can select either large EEPROM(Microchip 24LC128) for simulation or small EEPROM(Microchip 24LC00) for debugging. Since I'm still in my development stage, I'm debugging the firmware, so I'm choosing small EEPROM. The problem is that I wish to address another I2C EEPROM chip in my firmware, a Microchip 24AA08. According to the 24LCC00 and

24AA08 datasheets, it would appear that neither of these EEPROM chips can work with any other EEPROM chip, i.e. they both take over control of the I2C bus as far as EEPROM devices go, since the A0, A1 and A2 pins are all ignored/don't cares. Hence if I try to access the EEPROM I2C device address of 1010, it will address both of them at once(I think?), since the lower byte is ignored.

Is there any way of getting around this?

Reply to
galapogos

Hi galapogos,

You can always choose to ignore the on-chip I2C interface, and implement one on the general-purpose pins (in software). Then you can wire the microchip memory to the software interface, and all other I2C devices to the hardware interface.

Regards, Marc

Reply to
jetmarc