80188XL ICU

Dear all,

I have gone through 80188XL ICU part

I am pretty clear with master mode.But in slave mode i have the following quries:

1.Why this interrupt vector register is added?What is the use of making the last two bits of

interrupt vector register as programmable,since to clear the in- service bit,write the three

least significant bits of interrupt type(fixed)which are same as in master mode?

2.It is mentioned that, the external 8259A determines which slave interrupt controller has

the highest priority interrupt request.However,the ICU process only the internal interrupt

request.This means ICU itself determine the priority in slave mode also..Then how external

8259A act as a master?I guess it will determine the priority between its external interrupts

and internal interrupts of ICU.It is not clearly mentioned in the manual.

It would have been better if they have given an example for slave mode also....

pls clarify the above doubts...

Thanks in advance....

regards, fazal

Reply to
faz

... snip ...

Why? The 80188 is obsolete. As far as I know it is not even available from any suppliers today. In about 2000 I knew of at least one major manufacturer who had stocked chips to avoid having to recheck their future instruments. I suspect you would be much better off investigating some other popular chip.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

Perhaps he has access to a supply of them or is using boards he has on hand or can afford. Perhaps a link to online Intel app notes or data books would be in order ;-)

I renew my suggestion previously posted; scan an old manual, perhaps one per week; and make it available. The world will be a better place.

Michael

Reply to
msg

hai,

Pls clarify whether in slave mode,the external 8259A accepts external interrupt request apart from the internal interrupts of integrated ICU.If so how the priority has been resolved?

regards, faz

Reply to
faz

Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. See the following links:

--

    (taming google)
    (newusers)