Why are engineering sample CPUs illegal to sell?

I've only seen this one post, but I know pre production models of things can slip out for whatever reason. I had a computer once where the pcb had been manufactured with a fault, tend you can clearly see back then where the tracks had been manually cut and wires bridged the contacts to the right places, leaving the tracks as orphans. Likewise a number of Sinclair ZX Spectrums in the early days were made with known faulty ULA chips and a logic chip glued to the surface with its legs splayed and wired to make the circuit work. The first batch of Phillips CD100s the very first CD player on the market had quite a lot of wires cut tracks and components wired in odd ways inside it. I have to say that none of these what we might call bodges ever caused any trouble during the lives of the products. The CD100 is in fact still working, although its tendency to jump if a gnat walks across the floor shows it does not have the memory buffers in modern players. Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

When the ZX80 came out it was available as an unassembled kit for $99. I don't remember the exact problem but I had to tweak it ti get it to run.

Osborne came out with a 100 column conversion for the Osborne 1. CMOS was a new technology and while it normally saved power, dissipation increased with frequency. The circuit would work until the chip got hot. I replace it with the equivalent LS part and all was good.

Back in those days I could see the components without a microscope so component level troubleshooting was feasible.

Reply to
rbowman

The BBC computer had a similar problem - the early versions had to have an heatsink on a certain chip to keep it cool, I half remember. I also had a timing issue with an S100 computer I built and partially designed. I finally spotted the issue, when I could afford to buy a 'scope, but by then it was too late - my homebuilt was due for replacement with something better.

I think now that designer have simply become more skilled and obviously the range of components have improved massively.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

They use logic analysers in simulations now before the design gets anywhere near a product.

Reply to
Sysadmin

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I once broke a Pentium 2 or 3 (or that sort of era) by pushing hard with a screwdriver on the heatsink mount. It slipped and scratched the top of it (the tracks from the actual processor across to the pins). The technician where I worked had such a steady hand he resoldered it under a microscope.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You could buy an SX and reenable the coprocessor.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The ones I encountered were very heavy, so I assume not switching. I don't remember excessive heat. It's not like we used to run the CPUs flat out back then.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Try reading the text above more slowly this time. It is explicitly loaned.

Your poor knowledge of basic UK law is concerning.

Knowingly handling stolen goods is illegal.

Not knowing they're stolen doesn't mean you get to keep them. They will rightfully be confiscated from you.

Reply to
Chris

They absolutely would if, based on the knowledge you gave, Fred stole it and you did nothing to stop him.

In fact, for serious crimes you could be prosecuted for simply suggesting a criminal act even if that act never occurred.

Given your other post the police would laugh at how crap a criminal you are. "Nah, mate you can't arrest me. See this gold bar? Bob stole it and gave it to me. I also told bob the security van door was unlocked. So it's mine and you can't do anything about it." "You're nicked, sunshine!" :D

Reply to
Chris

Chris wrote: ===========

** Utter bullshit.

** Only lying assholes post irrelevant links with no specifics.
** Horse poo. You do not even know basic definitions.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If they never take them back, it's not a loan. Can you loan me your mower forever? No, that's called a gift.

It's not rightfull. The person who stole them should be made to reimburse me.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Sounds like many of the components comming out of China on ebay. Others they must relable junk parts to company logos.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Incorrect.

Lol. You can always try to sue them. Good luck with that...

Reply to
Chris

Total FUCKWIT Commander Kinsey wrote: ================================= >

** By law they must be - so rightful.

** LOL - more narcissistic CRAP from a total f*****ad.

Responsibility works it's way up the tree. Each party owes the one they supplied, unless the *purchaser* was knowing OR reckless at to legal ownership. Then they are liable for handling stolen property.

FYI:

In my business ( electronics repairs) I sometimes get offered stolen items to fix. The giveaway is the "owner" has no clue about the fault or how the thing is even operated. Refusing to say how or where he got it is a cincher as are missing serial numbers.

If I know or reasonably suspect an item in my workshop was stolen, I cannot legally give it back. Funny how the culprits do not see it that way....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Do you not understand what loan means? It means you temporarily are allowed possession of my thing.

You can actually. If you tell the police to ask the judge/magistrate, they can award money to those who lost out, taking it from the thief.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Some is good, some is shit, but you can get money back for the shit.

I bought some Li Ion batteries claiming 2.5 times more capacity than the best Panasonic ones. They actually had a third of the Panasonic's capacity when I tested them. As soon as I suggested they weren't up to spec, I got a 100% refund and could keep them. They know they're fiddling.

But I bought a battery charger for 99p including postage from China, and it works perfectly.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What, you didn't have a Turbo button?

Reply to
rbowman

A loan term can be indefinite.

Only the original victim of the theft. Not subsequent buyers of the stolen goods.

Reply to
Chris

I had one on a 386, which didn't even have a heatsink. That changed it from 8MHz to 16MHz. I'd so love to travel back in time with some recent kit and laugh at their technology.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey