Solder Flux or Solder Paste

Hello all,

I am somehow new to SMD soldering, and to some - lets say - soldering techniques. I was just wondering, will applying liquid from a solder flux pen to the surface I want to mount the SMD component on be enough or I also need to apply solder paste then. Also, if I have to apply solder paste, which goes first the solder flux or paste.

Thank you for your help, and excuse my ignorant questions.

A2K

Reply to
amerzakaria

Flux is often used with conventional wire solder when using manual soldering techniques like drag soldering. Solder paste is used for reflow soldering and contains flux.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

I _did_ find a use for liquid flux once:

In the USAF, in the "avionics" shops ("aviation electronics"), they generally have about a quart jug of liquid flux on hand. I never used it for soldering, because we used rosin-core solder, and I know how to solder. ;-) I did find an awesome application for the liquid flux, however. They have spools of some waxed flat string that they use for lacing cables (example:

) and inside an airplane, everything gets covered with oily crud, so it's practically impossible to get a grip on anything. I poured a little of the liquid flux on my fingers, let it dry, and, well, I had rosin on my fingers, so they were, like, anti-slippery. Laced the cable right up!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise