Vl in analog switch?

Hey all;

I'm working on using an analog switch (MAX4661) to replace a relay in a footswitch unit for my guitar effects. This particular switch will be used to control amp functions - in this case all that is needed is for 15vDC to be shorted to ground. The switch will be driven by a latch. The MAX part has an input labelled "Vl" which I assume is for logic voltage(?). It does mention something about having a logic supply pin to ensure compatability with TTL/CMOS parts. Will I need to connect this pin to +5v when the control signal is sent from the latch? Does it need to be tied to +5v? If I don't need it, do I just tie it to ground, as I'm planning on doing with the unused pins on the device?

Thanks

Reply to
tempus fugit

has

control

I'd rethink that part about shorting 15vdc into ground.... You might find that you ICs are soon integrated shorts, permanently.

Here is the datasheet for the series:

Yes, Vl is a 5 volt input so that the switch can be controlled with a 5 volt signal.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Thanks Garth.

I already have the datasheet. What do you mean the switch can be "controlled" with a 5v signal? Is it sort of a global on/off switch for the whole IC? I'm assuming that the control input for each individual switch could also be controlled with a 5v signal. I will indeed be interfacing with another CMOS device (the latch).

As for the shorting to ground thing, the 15v is being sent from the amp - it is not the same 15v that will supply the device. Does that make a differencer? I'm currently doing this same job with a relay with no problems. I realize that too much current flow could destroy the device, but would assume that the current is limited sufficiently from the amp circuitry to prevent this. What do you think?

Thanks]

used

compatability

don't