this is not basics

Hi Group, If one is a bit thick how do I start in electronics.

Micky

Reply to
Micky Savage

How thick?

It's easier if you're interested from an early age. You really need to play with batteries and motors and light bulbs; this is considered 'normal' if you're 9, and a bit screwy if you're 39 (it's still fun at

39, but you need to have children around to mask the fact that you're doing it for your own entertainment).

Build a crystal radio set while there's still AM radio transmitters around.

If you're in the US go to Radio Shack and hunt down their little "Engineer's Mini-Notebooks". They want to sell parts, so they give you projects to do. Find one that looks _easy_ first, then go for some big fancy gizmo second (or 20th).

Dunno what to say beyond that -- I was experimenting with electricity when I was two years old; my parents didn't get all the scorched outlets replaced until I was in my late teens.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Read 'The Art of Electronics' by Horowitz and Hill

Then you will be off to a good start

Electronics, however, is not for thick people

Bill Naylor Electronworks.co.uk - electronic kits for education and fun

Reply to
Electronworks.co.uk Electronic

Or even better -- look at the book the author of the "Engineers Mini- Books" wrote for people like us.

The author is Forrest M. Mims, and the starter book is "Getting Started in Electronics". Actually, anthing by Mr. Mims is good for newbies in Electronics.

This book isn't at Radio Shack -- you'll have to go to Amazon to order it.

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris

Does he advocate leaving bobby pins around the house for your 2-year old to stick into light sockets, or is he, like, boring?

Apparently when I was a toddler I ran around constantly with a screwdriver in my hand; my mission in life was to disassemble things (not to clean up the pieces left scattered around the area, or -- god forbid

-- put them back together). I can't remember any of this (probably due to the bobby pins in the light sockets).

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

AOE would be a good second book, but if you're still pondering how to get a motor to spin I'd have to second Chris's suggestion. I knew about Forrest Mims, it just didn't occur to me to look for his work outside of Rat Shack (damn those bobby pins!).

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Ah yes! The nostalgia of the old fork in the outlet. It only takes one poke to remember that particular lesson. If only all learning came with such a powerful memory :o)

Reply to
Claude

As a child with my brothers & sisters playing the flame swallower with a holiday candelabra - pretty 110V 15W incandescent bulb on a plastic candle. Ow! Wee.

Reply to
Jeff Higgins