Talema toroidal transformer

I have a toroidal transformer.

It is marked: Talema TVR 2518 7702-P2S2

486

I have failed to find a data sheet using Google - anyone any ideas where I might find a data sheet? There's 8 wires: blue, brown. pink, pink, red, yellow, green and purple.

John

Reply to
eatmorepies

Try here:

ED

"eatmorepies"

** Where did it come from ?

Is it new or used and removed from equipment ?

If the latter, then it is a custom wound job and there will be no published data.

One can analyse a transformer and come up with voltage and currents ratings for each winding - but it aint that simple.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"eatmorepies"

** Any chance this was from a valve (ie tube ) amplifier?

The blue/brown pair are bound to be the primary.

Measure all the resistances and get back to us.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Assuming its a mains transformer - connect the highest resistance winding to the mains and see what voltages the other windings give.

If you're not sure its a mains transformer - a variac might come in handy.

Reply to
Ian Field

Thanks for the various suggestions.

I've done some tests. It appears the blue and brown are not the mains input leads, they are open circuit. Input coil of 40R and outputs of 3R8, 0.9R and

1R1. The output of the 3R8 coil is 22V.

It's a gash transformer I took out of something some years ago. A friend has a use for a power supply and I wondered if this transformer would make the basis of a simple PSU. He has now bought a 0-30V, 0-5A, fully adjustable and regulated bench supply for £60 (inc P&P!). It's not worth me bothering to make something.

John

Reply to
eatmorepies

--
An assumption which may make the transformer give up its magic smoke.
Reply to

--
What's a "gash" transformer?

Please don't quit now, since characterizing a random transformer is a
really interesting process.
Reply to
John Fields

John Fields explained on 11/03/2013 :

ENGLISH Slang surplus to requirements; unnecessary, extra, or spare [of unknown origin]

Collins English Dictionary ? Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

--
John G
Reply to

"eatmorepies"

** So it is a mains tranny for 230/240V power and the primary is the NOT blue and brown pair ??

BTW:

A 40 ohms primary corresponds to an 80VA rating.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I never made any such claim - and in your drug addled haze, you're confusing a bodge for battery charging with an excessive charger.

Reply to
Ian Field

--
Oh, my, little miss Goodie Two Shoes is casting aspersions about
something which she admits she has no knowledge of, as usual!

You admitted being a druggie - I'm merely quoting you.

Reply to
Ian Field

--
Nope, you're trying to cast a derogatory light by deliberately
misquoting.

Eh! - you taunted me for not being able to handle taking drugs like being a dead head was something to be proud of.

Reply to
Ian Field

In my economic pinching youth I used to keep my car battery trickle-charged with a 100W light bulb and a diode, using a polarized plug to ensure a car body at ground potential ;-)

Then, at Motorola, I'd run the car down the parking lot aisle, jump in and pop the clutch to start it.

Then I would buy a battery on sale at Sears the next week >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Nope, I taunted you for not being able to handle taking drugs like
being a dead head was something you should not be proud of.

Especially since you admit you have no referential experience and yet
proffer judgments askance of your expertise.
Reply to
John Fields

Whatever I did or didn't do doesn't alter the fact that you're a washed up boring old druggie.

Reply to
Ian Field

--
And yet you seem to hang on my every word and spew ad hominem vitriol
because you haven't the wherewithal to respond with carefully reasoned

What a curious, cowardly, little creature you are!

You're afraid to open the buckles of your blinders and afraid to
acknowledge that fear, yet you condemn those who have faced the same
fear and  dared to do what you cannot.
Reply to
John Fields

Ian's incapability and insufficiency reminds of one who's fond of falling back on "cluck-cluck" when cornered. ...Jim Thompson