So what can a microcontroller *not* do?

Or more appropriately, when is a uC not the answer?

I mean yeah, there's tons of super simple stuff in which a uC would be overkill for today, but as prices come down and programming environments get more 'accessible'.....

I find microcontrollers fascinating, but I haven't played with any yet. I've done a fair bit of C programming actually, but all of it was in a unix environment and not for a uC. I also find a great deal of joy in putting together stuff the old fashioned way, with big and clunky through-hole components.

I guess I'm looking for reassurance that the uCs aren't going to kill off the old way of doing things, and that we'll all have BOTH available for many many years to come.

thx

-ph

Reply to
phaeton

Where there's complex maths involved for starters.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

wow, sounds like we're on the exact same page... i'm hoping to improve my skills to the point that i can repair antique radios... and, hopefully, build one... i'm a well seasoned programmer by day, but love all the wires and such found in electronics prior to the introduction of the microcontroller... though, i'm fascinated with them as well..

in summary, i have no clue what will happen :).. as a musician as well, i can assure you that you'll find tube and other analog electronics for quite some time...

Reply to
Isaac

Well, as long as there's somebody left to make leaded adapters for

0201 parts... ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

How so?

Reply to
phaeton

8 bit maths is a bit slow for one.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Hey! Did you know? They've come out with these chips that can do 16 bit maths now! I even heard a rumor of - gasp! - 32 bit maths!

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Hey, you know you can still get 4 bit uCs.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I still have my Intel 4004 reference, but what chips are available now that are 4 bit?

And let's not start on the two-bit chips ;-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

There even is/was a one bit microprocessor. See:

I probably have an old data book with it or a similar device (I think it was RCA)

Also see:

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen