signal and capacitor

Hello All

I wish to know what will happen for the case of 1)DC and 2)AC input power or signal to the capacitor in a circuit. I heard that capcitor can act as a short or open circuit depending on DC or AC(in high or low frequency input power signal or signal itself).

Can anyone help to explains this clearer in the point of view from physics and electronics?

Kindly share Thank you

rgds and thanks Jason

Reply to
jason

DC - capacitor block current - infinite resistance AC - passes thru cap... if w= 0 zero resistance

Regards Vibhash Chandra Jha

jas> Hello All

itself).

Reply to
vibhash_iit

The relationship between current through a capacitor and the voltage across it is:

I=C*(dv/dt), where I is current in amperes, C is capacitance in farads, and dv/dt is time rate of change of voltage in volts per second.

Since pure DC has zero volts pure second rate of change, the current is zero. For any other waveform from pulses to sinusoids, there are various rates of voltage change at different times, so different instantaneous currents at different times.

--
John Popelish
Reply to

Thank you All

The explanations are great. :) I simply amazed with so much of great answer and help from many people Thank you so much for who ever written up there to help me thank you

Jason

Reply to
jason