screwdriver tester

when i stand on a wooden stool and touch a live wire i dont get a shock because circuit is not complete with ground as wood is a insulator but when i touch a screwdriver tester to that live wire the bulb lights up even while i am standing on the wooden stool how can a bulb light without getting earthing?

Reply to
pratikgetz

It's magic dust!

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Even with no ground connection to complete a resistive circuit, your body has capacitance to the rest of the universe, so charges and discharges each half cycle of the AC with a small capacitive current. This small capacitive current (sub milliampere) is well below your threshold of feeling, but is above the threshold to light a small neon bulb.

If the AC voltage were much higher (say, hundreds of thousands of volts, like what is carried on the high voltage transmission lines that cross the continent) the capacitive currents they would drive into your body capacitance would reach the threshold of feeling, even if you were suspended from a helicopter.

Reply to
John Popelish

That, plus the very low (< .1 ma) current required by a small neon lamp, plus the unipolar capacitance of your body. The tester has a large resistance in series with the lamp, so you won't get stung even if you are grounded.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

You're acting as a large value resistor. Enough current passes to light the neon bulb without giving you a shock.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

neon

really, I thought it had something to do with capacitance with AC combined. Oh well, back to school. snort snort..

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

neon

Are you saying that the body (or wood) is incapable of making a resistive connection ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

--
Sorry, Bozo, it\'s capacitance.
Reply to

the neon

connection ?

Your body is one plate of a capacitor, and the earth is the other plate. It has nothing to do with resistance, in this application. it is like running your hand along the glass of a fluorescent lap that doesn't come on when you apply power.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not at all, merely that in this case the conductance is negligible compared to the capacitive reactance.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If you placed one 60 hz 120v wire upstairs in a wooden house with no other wiring or metal objects and the neon lamp still lit I would guess that trickle energy and the wire voltage that made the neon bulb light converted into trickle radiation into the air space surrounding our candidate holding the other end of the wire.

I think radiation resistance through our candidate is as good an answer as capacitance on our candidates skin to some earth grounding surface ten feet away.

At higher frequencies possible, but 50/60 hz, I would need to ask Radium.

Usenet was a wild frontier 10 years ago. I remember ;-) Then Google invited itself to our campfire.

  • * * Christopher

Temecula CA.USA

christopher

neon

The wood is an insulator. The current flows through you because of capacitance.

Reply to
sparky

Depending upon the moisture content, wood may be a poor insulator.

Reply to
craigm

So the screwdriver comes with a waterlogged wooden stool?

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

neon

A beginner question here: Since it is due to capacitance, does it mean that the neon lamp will be turned ON for only a few second when we're testing it with DC voltage? Because capacitance has the characteristics to block DC when it's fully charged right?

Reply to
zhafran

Yes. One flash, till you discharge the DC voltage on your body and the plastic surfaces of the screw driver handle. again.

But don't take my word for it. Series connect a stack of 12 each 9 volt transistor radio batteries, with one terminal grounded. Touch the other terminal that with the screw driver, and it should produce a single faint blink. Have someone else reverse the end grounded and tough the other end and you should get another blink.

Reply to
John Popelish

That would be true if you were testing a DC circuit. Usually, those things are used on AC mains, and it's that AC that flows through the capacitive reactance of your body capacitance to ground. It's not much current (probably way less than one mA), but neon bulbs don't need much.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

zhafran, if you do this, use EXTREME CAUTION. 108 volts is enough to drive lethal current through your skin. If you insist on doing this test, then keep one hand in your pocket.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

More likely a few {micro,milli}seconds; the capacitance involved is a few picofarads.

Right.

Reply to
Nobody

Does it also applicable to high AC voltage?

Reply to
zhafran