Live wire detector

Phone dudes hook up a line to a device which sends a frequency thru th eline so you can find where it physically leads to. How can I buy a low cost (low use) version of such a gadget? One that also works at higher (eg 120VAC) voltages?

I appreciate the signal will be lost at transformers (why we were unable to use power lines to transmit submetering data and why the power and rails firms failed in their internet biz plans).

Reply to
vjp2.at

Look for telephone testers > Toner and Banana. In 47 years never tried them with 120vac. Electricians use something to trace cables.

KenW

Reply to
KenW

The telco item I recall was 'fox and hound', some variant still available

but the familiar 120VAC items use a different technology (not a 'signal generator', just a diac used as a near-zero-crossing pulser). They're cheap enough

whit3rd