rs232 question

I have a controller that talks rs232 ,driven by a MAX232.

3 wires only. I connect the computer to it: works fine. I am connecting a StarTech NETRS2321E Net adapter to it. Won't work. Loopback plug instead of controller: works fine. Since the harness on the controller side includes a DB9 tap I decided to hook the computer into that, and LO! that causes it to work! I get communication on both channels , one from serial port, one from NETRS232. If I unplug the serial port cable at the controller the NETRS232 quits receiving data. If I unplug the serial port cable at the computer the NETRS232 continues receiving data. What is going on? What changes to the controller circuitry would help? Cheers f
Reply to
malua mada!

Well now it works by itself. I'll see if it has to do with temperature after I shut it off tonight.

Reply to
malua mada!

Maybe you're not using the correct on COMMON on the plug?

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie