Recommend an RS232 Monitor?

Hi all,

I'm getting up to speed on the MSP430 with the ez340-Rf2500 dev kit, which connects to a pc via a USB-to-serial emulator. That is, the device is plugged into a USB port, but shows up as a COM port in Windows.

For my application, I'd like this device to report real-time sensor data to the host computer, where it will be logged. I figure I should really have a serial port sniffer to aid in accomplishing this, but I'm having a surprising amount of trouble finding one that will run on Win 7.

So: Can anyone recommend a Win 7-compatible serial monitoring program that will sniff RS232 packets? Free would be nice, but I have a budget that covers software.

Thanks, Michael

Michael_s

Have you tried sysinternals portmon?

Grant
Reply to
Grant Edwards

PortMon, , may cover your requirements. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

Have a look at: Hyperterminal or DockLight

Cheers Don...

=============

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Don McKenzie

I've tried RealTerm several times with success. However, that is on a W2K machine....

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

On 10/09/2010 8:16 AM, Michael_s wrote: ...

Not tried on Win 7 but I quite like the free version from

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Forget hyperterminal - look at the archives of this group if you want to know other people's opinions, but it's not even worth spending that time and effort when there are far better programs available.

One of the most popular choices is Tera Term Pro:

Reply to
David Brown

Neither one of which can be used to sniff serial traffic.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I love ROCK 'N ROLL!
                                  at               I memorized the all WORDS

RealTerm

has a "spy mode". The drivers required to enable spy mode are not part of the free download but are available pretty cheaply via a contribution to Sourceforge and the RealTerm team.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

You might also consider using a scripting language, like Tcl. This has a fileevent mechanism which will call a proc (presumeably to log the data) whenever the serial port is readable, and afaict, this works just fine on a serial port or socket -- even on Windows.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Spam

Hi,

seeing Tcl mentioned reminded me of Moni

- the best I ever came across:

- 2 display panes: one in ASCII, one in Hex

- log to file if you want to

- not only a logger - you can also use it to communicate with your target or transfer files to it, optionally adding delays (character and line wise IIRC)

- can show and change handshake lines - nothing you need often, but if you do, you need it badly

- comes with source so you may even change things (IIRC there are some glitches) HTH M'

Reply to
Michael Keith

Good point - perhaps I should have read the original question, not just Don's reply!

Reply to
David Brown

Everyone,

Thanks for the input (and bonus ideas re: logging of data!) It turns out PuTTY is another possibility for reading serial ports. I'll look at all of these suggestions.

Michael

Michael_s