combining RS232 messages

I have the following eqpt a.Gyro with RS232 or RS422 output (NMEA word $HEHDT ...) b.Log with RS232 output (NMEA word $GPRMC ...) c.Standard GPS NMEA output I want to give these to a single computer with only two serial ports. I want to combine all these signals and feed them to the computer as a single input. Thanks ps I live in India where nautical electronic hardware is hardly available. So would prefer a software or circuit diagram which can be made.

Reply to
Maddy

This sounds like a software problem. Call any US help desk to get a talented Indian software engineer on the phone.

Reply to
BobG

Yes They will be transmitting data simultaneously. The computer does not need to send any data. Can any other pin apart from pin 2 of the 9 pin serial port be used for receiving data?

Reply to
Maddy

Afraid not. THis might be most easily dealt with by a dedicated controller with 4 serial ports: 3 inputs, one output, being smart enough to keep packets coming from the different inputs separate and passing them on to the main computer. Something pretty smart really.

The simplest thing coming to mind is: let the computer sort it out but give it one serial port for each device. THere are inexpensive USB to serial converters that give you four serial ports for one USB connection.

Then your software can sort out the different data streams.

--
Fritz Oppliger
Reply to

You need an NMEA multiplexer - there are several links on my GPS/NMEA site listed below, in the NMEA Programs area.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

I saw the GPS multiplexer and it is exactly what I need. The problem is I dont think I can get it in India. Is any circuit diagram scematic available whic I can use for makin a simple 2 in 1 out multiplexer?

Reply to
mnitin73

Will they be transmitting data simultaneously?

Do you need bi-directional links i.e. does the computer need to send data / commands to them?

Reply to
Andrew Holme

I think most of the vendors listed on my site will ship naywhere.

It isn't too simple.

What you need is a microcontroller with one serial port for each source, and enough memory to hold at least one sentence from each port. The microcontroller will read and store incoming data then send it out when it gets a full sentence, providing it isn't already sending data from another input.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Or sufficient small microcontrollers, each with one UART and enough memory for a sentence, plus a supervisor (which could be one of them) that acts as a traffic controller. Request-to-send, clear-to-send, and an open collector buffer perhaps.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to