Resistor question

My question is :

Is a 68 ohm 1/8 watt resistor the same as a 68 ohm 1/4 watt or 68 ohm

1/2 watt.

My led circuit calls for a 68 ohm 1/8 watt, can I use any resistor that is rated 68 ohms.

Thanks Dennis

Reply to
dplatz

They all have the same resistance.

The /18th watt will reach its rated operating temperature with 43 mA through it (2.9 volts across it), the 1/4 watt with 62 mA through it (4.2 volts across it), and the 1/2 watt with 88 mA through it (6 volts across it).

As long as the current through your resistor is less than its rated current, it will work. I like to derate resistors to half their rated wattage for long life and low thermal drift.

Reply to
John Popelish

Thanks John. You electronics freaks are a God send. It is so great to have a place that people freely share knowlege and ideas. I share when I can.

Reply to
dplatz

Well, thanks for this - it's nice to be praised, too. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise