Replacing Hall Effects Transistor

I just inherited an old MacBook G3 Laptop.The problem with the laptop is that it always thinks that the cover is closed. All of the documentation I have found on the net say that there is a reed switch that controls this behavior. On my system it actually is a Hall Effects transistor for some reason.

I haven't been able to find this part on ebay or elsewhere (I don't know the Apple part num, just searched for G3 Hall effects). Is there a general purpose Hall Effects transistor (I can get from Mouser etc.) that might work, or do I need a specific replacement?

The markings on the surface-mount component is 13E if that helps?

When I short the bottom 2 legs of the transistor the unit does not go to sleep. If I cant find a replacement I just want to disable this feature. Can I just short the transistor or am I better off using some value resistor across it?

Reply to
Jack B. Pollack

Transistors aren't the only parts with three legs. It's an IC. Allegro Microsystems (I _think_ that's the right name) makes hall effect ICs; you may be able to search their site and get a close match.

It's probably perfectly safe to just short those legs, or at least if you were going to break anything by doing the test you've probably already done it.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

It's probably the hall effect sensor on all the macbooks.

try this one:

Jasen Betts

Thanks. I started looking at allegromicro.com but there are a lot of parts that it could be. Jasen in the next post suggested one. Hopefully that one will work. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

Reply to
Jack B. Pollack

Thanks. As I commented in the previous post I found allegromicro.com but wasn't sure which part to choose. The description of the part you suggests sounds correct. Thanks so much

Reply to
Jack B. Pollack