Power Factor Optimization

Hello all from a long time lurker!

I have been approached by a rep from a small local company trying to sell us a Power Factor Optimizer, claiming 25% to 33% energy savings on our bills (residential and industrial).

Last I had heard, power factor was a minor issue in residential systems, however they are claiming 25% savings.

This power factor optimization "reduces the amount of electricity drawn from the utility by capturing the otherwise lost electricity in its Capacitors and sending that electricity back into the circuit."

Is this worth looking into further or is it deceptive?

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Anon

"Anon"

** The claims re savings are completely false.

The company and its rep is promoting a well known scam and you should report them to the authority that deals with consumer protection in your area.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It's a scam.

Not only are power factor related inefficiencies trivial in domestic environments, but whatever inefficiences exist are almost entirely borne by the utility. It's unlikely that correcting your power factor to "perfect" would save even 1% off your bills.

Industrial consumers can be billed extra for poor power factor, but anyone in a position where this matters (factories with 3-phase motors the size of a bus) doesn't need a sales rep to explain power factor to them.

Reply to
Nobody

I'd read your rate sheet that should be on file with your state's public utility commission. There may be residential types getting hit for excess power factor but I think it is unlikely.

Industrial consumers in my area, when I was last paying attention, were paying extra if their power factor was worse than .80 .

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Thank you Phil, Nobody and Wes for your replies. I appreciate your input. I thought it seemed odd that he was trying to market these through small retail appliance stores, when they require installation into the panel.

I will be passing his info to a few of our electrical contractor associates in his area, so they are aware of his tactics, as well as the local licensing board.

Thanks! Scott in Dunedin, FL

Reply to
Anon

us

rom

as more and more residences install CFLs, power factor could go down. I've measured some as low a .75. lighting is a small portion of residential use so still probably not worth the cost of PF correction.

Reply to
nevergroup

as more and more residences install CFLs, power factor could go down.

** CFLs used in residence are very small load in terms of VA - and one that is **NOT** PF correctable by the addition of capacitors to the supply.

I've measured some as low a .75. lighting is a small portion of residential use so still probably not worth the cost of PF correction.

** There is no benefit whatever in simply adding fixed C to the supply in domestic premises - cos caps have a a really terrible PF themselves !!!!

Using caps to correct a poor PF only works in the case of inductive loads ( like motors ) and then only when the cap's value is chosen to suit the load and they connect and disconnect themselves along with the motor.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Residential supplies are not charged for power factor in the first place, making the question moot.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore