Remote control for dust collector

The system has UL or other approval?

In case of a short circuit you want nothing to prevent the current dumping to the grounded connection as fast as possible. No chokes or other devices should limit the rate of rise of current, no matter how small an impedance you think they present. You want the fuse to blow as fast as possible.

Only approved devices used in approved installations should ever be installed in this fashion.

--
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You\'re grasping at straws, Homey!
Reply to
John Fields

--
Hey, you\'re the one who\'s making claims, so it\'s up to you to prove
them.

That's you, of course.

GOOD QUESTION. If you don't KNOW the answer, don't do it. And what does happen when you drive 1000+ amps through one of these?

Jesus you are stupid. Tell it to the insurance adjuster.

--
.
.

Right. And winding 100 turns around a 16 square inch transformer core doesn't either? So what is the cut-off point where it is not OK?

All the inspectors I have known would say the same thing. Don't do it.

--
.
.

--
IKYABWAI
Reply to

The only stupid one is you. Go ahead, screw with something you don't understand. My advice is correct and only a fool like you would ignore it, but then you are a Yank so it's to be expected.

Google: Results about 25,500,000 for electrical fire.

--
.
.

--
OK. since you\'re hungry, I\'ll help you.

What is it about

          L dI
     E = ------
           dt

that you don\'t understand ?:
Reply to
John Fields

I know perfectly well what CTs are and have used them. What I don't do is put them in the neutral line. That's not just common sense, it's the code.

--
.
.

inch transformer core

Homer, your going to feel so totally stupid when you find out what a current transformer is all about. As an electrician , do you use a clamp on ammeter? yo do realize that there isnt any electrical contact with the conductor ...right? A current transformer is the exact same principle.

Reply to
ericwhit

Give me a summary of your knowledge on the subject of HRC fuses. Then summarize your knowledge of the operating characteristics of MCBs. Then try to tell me about CTs.

--
.
.

--- LOL, What don't I understand about it?

Certainly, if my advice to the OP was bad, then you, as a concerned person who claims to be competent in his craft would tell him why he shouldn't implement my solution from a technical point of view. As a matter of fact, so would any number of the folks here, if I was wrong, and I'd simply admit my mistake and continue on with my life, a little wiser than I was before. Have you seen anyone other than yourself stating that it was a bad idea? No. That's because it'll work and it's safe. You claimed it wasn't though, and even you can't back up your claims with anything other than bluster, you can't back down because that would show you up for the phony you are. So all you do is prolong the conflict in the vain hope that I'll disengage and you can throw the last barb.

---

--- So now, instead of defending yourself technically, you revert to your old trick of Anti-American shit-slinging in order to try to change the focus of the "discussion".

---

--- So what?

"Homer J Simpson is an asshole." gets about 185,000 hits and is much more relevant.

If you think there's a danger of an electrical fire using my method, what is it?

I'm sure everyone here (especially the OP) would be interested in finding out what it is.

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

--
For paperweights, more than likely.
Reply to

--
This isn\'t about what we know about stuff that you want to use to
change the direction of the discussion in order to get the heat off

Go read the code book. Your local library has a copy.

--
.
.

--
Translation:

"There is no such prohibition."
Reply to
John Fields

Go read the code book. Your local library has a copy.

--
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--- Well, Homerde, that ain't gonna happen because I don't believe in going on wild goose chases.

But I feel kinda sorry for you, so I'm going to give you one last chance to redeem your sorry ass.

"How?" You might ask. By explaining to the group, technically, how placing a current transformer in the neutral leg of an AC mains circuit is going to affect the blowing of a fuse or the opening of a circuit breaker adversely, that's how.

Moreover, you need to consider that your explanation needs to restrict itself to the conditions surrounding the OP's post, since that's what seems to have gotten your panties in a bunch.

Are you up for it or are you going to try to slime your way out of it like you usually do?

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

I have no need to understand them nor do i want to know; moreover, it is totally irrelivant to this discussion. NEC code 110.23 is the only brief description concerning CT's. Now smart ass, where is the code that prohibits it because GFCI 's use a CT around a neutral to sense leakage current. This doesnt cencern anything regarding fuses.

Reply to
ericwhit

No, only your dangerous lack of knowledge is relevant. Fortunately you will never be in a position to risk the lives and properties of other people with your reckless disregard for basic safety precautions.

Like the other dumb fucks here, such as John Fields, you just fell into the trap. A GFCI is a device which is designed for the purpose and installed according to regulations. Therefore by definition it does not violate code. Further, it is its own fuse AND it is fed from a fuse or MCB so the whole apparatus has been purpose tested to comply with the regulations by people who actually know what they are doing.

GFCIs do NOT "use a CT around a neutral". The CT is around both hot AND neutral which is quite a different situation.

--
.
.