Open Collector Relay Control

I have assembled an electronic timer kit, #148 from Hobby Engineering

I plan to control a 20-amp 120VAC circuit with this timer. The relay I've chosen to do this with is part # 653-G7L-2AB-DC12 from Mouser.

The relay specs say 1.9W is consumed by the relay for 12VDC, so I'm expecting to need at least 160 mA to energize the relay.

The timer circuit uses open-collector output with a BC547 transistor for control, and I'm sure this transistor will not handle the current load required by the relay.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to accomplish this - perhaps cascade the control circuit with a larger transistor?

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Reply to
Hank Brandenburg

Replace Q7 with a MPSA13 or equivalent. Plenty of gain and power handling capability, and cheap.

default

News==----

Newsgroups

Yup. Replacing the BC547 with a darlingon NPN transistor like the MPSA13 is an easy, one component fix.

The pinouts of the two transistors are different, though. You might want to turn the flat side of the MPSA13 around, and install it "backwards". That will result in the correct pinout on the board holes.

If you install them with the flat of the TO-92 pointing the same way, it won't work. Look at the drawings on the data sheets and see for yourself:

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

"BobG" = Groper from Hell

( snip nauseating SHIT from this anencephalic)

** FUCK OFF !!

you ASD f***ed TROLL !!!!

....... Phil

Reply to
Jamie

Use a BC337 or 338 as a direct replacement - it has the same pinout. It will handle up to .8 amps and can dissipate more power than the MPSA13 (which has the wrong pinout) recommended earlier. It also does not suffer from the > 1.2 v Vce that is unavoidable with darlingtons. It has about the same capability of the 2N2222 mentioned earlier, but the 2N2222 also has the wrong pinout.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Hi, Ed. Good choice -- that will be a closer replacement, and it's pin compatible.

I was wondering, though -- the 4.7K pullup will limit base current to a little less than 1mA. If the OP decides to go with your better choice, he might want to replace that resistor (R20) with a 470 ohm 1/4 watt resistor, to ensure enough base current to saturate the BC337. He is driving a 160mA load.

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris

As long as the PIC can drive Q6 it should work. Since it is easy to just change the program - I figured limited drive from the processor is the reason two stages were used in the first place -and I'm too lazy to try to find out . . .

default

Good point. I didn't look at the schematic, just the xsistor specs. The 470 you mention would be much better. It's not a good relay driver circuit as it stands, and on top of that the BC547 is too wimpy for many relays, so I hope he decides to replace it with one of the three options he's been given.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Thanks to all for great feedback on this. I'm going to try the BC337/338 with 470 ohm resistor; The parts should be here by the weekend and I'll let all know how it comes out.

Thanks for help> Chris wrote:

Reply to
Hank Brandenburg

Good - getting rid of that wimpy 547 is the right thing to do. Don't forget to put a diode across the relay coil backwards (banded end connected to the + side).

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Just a quick update. I replaced with a BC337 and 370 ohm resistor and the circuit power the relay as desired.

Thanks to all for the help with this!

ehsjr wrote:

Reply to
Hank Brandenburg

OK, Hank. Glad to help.

Just as a simple reality check, try touching the case of your new transistor after the relay has been on for a few seconds -- make sure it's not more than a little warm.

By the way, please bottom post if you'd like to post again. Since you're a Google person, please read Google Groups Help Topic "What's good 'netiquette' when posting to Usenet?"

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris