PCB drilling question

In commercial CNC setups, is the drill motor powered during the entire drilling operation (except tool changes) or is it cycled on/off at each hole location?

Reply to
oparr

When I saw that operation at a local board house, the drill spent as about much time in the stack as out. There was no pause to let the motor spin down and back up, and I doubt any shop would do it that way.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

Me too. I foolishly went and bought a SSR with zero-crossing and snubber circuitry for motor control in my CNC setup then realized that even though X and Y speeds are slow at 20 IPM, it still probably didn't justify cycling the power on/off at hole locations.

Reply to
oparr