OT: Unemployment Rate

...Jim Thompson

Is it either the fault of a) Obama b) those 93 million lazy bums who want a handout or c) both?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

99% a 1% b

...but they get "health care".

Reply to
krw

Please check all that apply for you:

[ ] Bootstrap theory [ ] Meritocracy [ ] Prosperity Gospel [ ] American exceptionalism [ ] "Just World" Hypothesis [ ] "The poor need a hand up, not a hand out" [ ] "My grandfather came here with $2 in his pocket and..."
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Maybe that is an over-simplification.

The pharmaceutical company I worked for as an engineer fired me, then hired me back as a temporary worker at a much higher salary minus some benefits. I worked 2-3 days a week, kept my own hours consistent with their requirements, only worked on interesting challenging jobs, and they were lots more polite; I got treated like a person instead of a fully owned commodity.

Over-all it was win-win IMO.

My wife, "control scientist" at another pharmaceutical company did the same. (tax time is a windfall too)

I can spend my time tinkering with what interests me, getting lots of exercise kayaking, garden with technology, and indulge in computers and woodworking. Wife has taken up yoga, pottery, reads more, and visits her sisters in different cities where they arrange various junkets and explorations to go on.

I have dropped out of the work and spend money on "stuff" simply because I have too much money lifestyle, so there is a "loss" to the national economy I suppose but I'm lots happier if less "productive," institutionally speaking of course.

And I travel less and don't burn 50+ gallons of gas a weekend deep sea fishing, I miss it, but wouldn't go back if I could now.

Reply to
default

Good for you. I retired at 62 and had not planned on working any more. About a year after I retired the company had let go of some more people. Then they closed down another plant or two in another part of the country. They were going to move some of the equipment to the plant I had worked at. They needed some people for a short time to help get the stuff going. I gave them a price of about double what I was making when I retired. From their own numbers before I left they had claimed that is what the benefits were worth.

They did not take me up on that , but I refused to work for less as I really did not want to work anyway.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I retired at 54, after 32 years. I knew I was going to go back to work eventually but they gave me an incentive (6mos salary, 1yr medical) so I took about nine months off. I started looking for a job in July and was working on a contract three weeks later. I asked for about 150% of what I was making and they took it. It turned out that I worked 60-70hrs per week, so I was making far more than 150% of my previous salary (medical was taken care of). I did that for a year, then moved on to a "real job". I'm 62 now and have a great job, with a great company, and a boss I couldn't get along with better. I recently was out 7 weeks and couldn't wait to get back.

I like this work, as long as I'm working for the right people. Why would I want to retire? Well, there is that "time" thing. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Here in the States, this "official" unemployment rate count has always been a lie (at least for 70 years that i know of). Simple: a working person files for unemployment compensation and is required to find a job in a given period of time. They are counted in that "unemployment rate" pool. If that person finds no job, they are NOT counted; that fact approximately doubles the true rate.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That "given period of time" is now multiple years. ...Jim Thompson

Don't forget the roughly 12 million people on disability.

Since the LFPR in the US is now 63%, the "true absolute" unemployment rate is 37%.

Interesting to note that the LFPR peaked at about 2000 and started a decline during the Bush administration. Even more odd is that the LFPR appears to level off during the years of the peak of the housing bubble and the initial shock years, to resume it's decline after.

Hard to assign any sort of causality to this.

--

Rick
Reply to

That's a damned lie. The unemployment rate has *NOTHING* to do with unemployment insurance.

Reply to
krw

It's not even that. The unemployment rate is derived from polling employers and individuals. The unemployment number is the number of people not working but *looking* for work, divided by the number of people working. Those who have not looked for employment in the last

30 days, whether they are collecting unemployment insurance or not are not counted in either group.
Reply to
krw