OT: Barking Dog Problem

We had a Burmese cat that the male Dachshund was fond of sneaking up on and bowling him over from the side.

One day the Dachsy bowled over the cat and the cat spun around and bit the end of his tail, which bled profusely.

The Dachsy never again bothered the cat ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I simply left a note asking my neighbor to come talk to me about the barking dog and got yelled at when he came home. I called animal control which is handled by the sheriffs at that location. Seems the officer responsible for that duty is an animal lover and told me, "of course the animal barks". I gave up.

I was being woken up every morning by the dog barking when the owner left and put the dog in the back yard for the day. I don't know if the animal barked just at the time he was put out or if something disturbed him. But it lasted long enough to wake me up and that is not an easy thing to do before my 8 hours are up. So the dog was barking for some

10 minutes at least. I don't get why this didn't bother everyone in the townhouse cluster.
--

Rick
Reply to

Like this? 20 @ 50W each would allow 1 kW of ultrasonics. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Phased array. Think of the gain that could be had.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Holy shit! That oughta to do it >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I bought a better deal awhile back. I got 50 of them for $39,95, delivered. Now I just need to finish designing that 2500W ultrasonic amp. I'll feed it from my HP3325A function generator, and set to sweep through the range that dogs can hear. I will use a bark detector to trigger it. On bark = one sweep, then switch it off.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Add some PVC pipe to sharpen the array, and dogs will hear it for ten miles. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wonder what the police will think when everyone on your block is bleeding out the nose.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Sno-o-o-ort >:-} ...Jim Thompson

You don't run it continuously.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We had a pair of Siamese who would go out together and round up some happless pooch and bail it up in a corner and then sit there enjoying it's discomfort or terror.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

I am *very* skeptical about the "50 watt RMS" claim on these. I couldn't find any manufacturer's info, the tweeters come from China, and the only sellers were on Ebay.

Also, I didn't see any claim about frequency response, even in the audio range, let alone ultrasonics. (Some piezos that I've used do have reasonable output above 20 kHz, but with wild dips and peaks.)

This looks to me like just another inflated audio spec, especially given that the tweeters look like they could handle a few watts at most, before going up in smoke.

If there is any validity to the "50 watt" spec, it is probably from the fairly common approach of advertising the power of the amp that drives the whole audio range. In such a case for "normal" music, etc, almost all of the power is going to be used by the woofer. If you set the crossover frequency high enough, the audio power to be handled by the tweeter is pretty small.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Bob Masta DAQARTA v9.00 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI FREE 8-channel Signal Generator, DaqMusiq generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

22 LR thru the left ear generally works. Sorry but I digress. High powered high frequency audio comes to mind. Gets rid of rats too, sometimes.
Reply to
Ron M.

28KHz-60W-Watt-Ultrasonic-Cleane-Transducer-Power-Drive-Module-110V-
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

All Chinese specs are wildly exaggerated in my experience however they do offer some good deals on electronics if you're careful in your buying expectations.

Anyhow I once DID build an ultrasonic device with 70 watt rated Pioneer piezo speaker and measured the drive current at 12 volts at 9 amps for short bursts of digitally generated dual swept sine waves.

In the audio spectrum it stunned in unimaginable disorientation, the ultrasonic being a dog lover I never did test out. However Pioneer 30 years ago seemed respectable in their claims.

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

Now I never thought to trigger on bark. Negative reenforcement, I like.

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

Forget 555's, go for 4093 schmitt trigger oscillators driving dual swept sine waves from a johnson count 4017 IIRC with resistors tailored for sine wave generation at 1/10 the 4093 drive easily cleaned up with low pass driven hard with whatever you like. I've used FET and bipolar.

See later post about trigger on bark, not mine.

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

Why is that negative reinforcement and not positive?

--

Rick
Reply to

Negative is when you want an animal (person) to stop doing something. Positive is when you want them to do something.

If you wanted to teach the dog to bark at something, you give them a treet when they bark at the correct thing. That would be the positive .

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I know what positive and negative reinforcement are.

"Negative reinforcement occurs when the rate of a behavior increases because an aversive event or stimulus is removed or prevented from happening."

"Positive reinforcement occurs when a desirable event or stimulus is presented as a consequence of a behavior and the behavior increases."

I'm asking you how you know just how the dog will perceive the noise. What makes you think the noise won't make the animal bark *more*? Haven't you ever heard one dog start barking in response to another dog bark?

--

Rick
Reply to