One set of speakers with two sources

Sorry if this question is too basic. I have my computer connected to a set of speakers (amplified sub-woofer with satellites), and I have a piano keyboard. I connected all three using a y-splitter (1/8" jacks?). The problem is that half the volume of the signal is apparently lost down the inactive source.

Can I make or buy a simple switch for the two sources? A guy at Radio Shack came up with a solution that involved some box and about six adaptors that totaled to about $40. I can continue to play old fashioned telephone operator for that price.

Or perhaps there's some sort of diode-like devices I can use with the splitter/joiner?

Thanks,

--Art

Reply to
Art M

Thanks for the help Bob.

--Art

Reply to
Art M

The general rule of thumb is that you can use 'Y' splitters to connect one output to two or more inputs, but you should never connect two outputs together directly.

Anything with diodes will trash your sound, so that's out. But since your speakers are amplified, you can probably get away with a simple passive mixer. It's really just a refinement of the 'Y' connector, except that you need to put a resistor in series with each arm that comes from an output. You technically need a third resistor *across* the input to the amp (from center to ground) but most amps have one built in. I'd start off with about 10K ohms in each output arm.

You will still lose half the volume, but now it's due to the passive resistors. Just boost your amp volume to compensate.

Hope this helps!

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Bob Masta