Numerical Question

This is a simple question from microelectronics by sedra smith 5e page

143. But i am not clear how they calculate it. kindly explain it to me i.e the method n the formulas used.

Question: Refer to the figure below:

Let Vi have a peak value of 10V and r=1k Ohms. Find the peak value if Id (current through diode) and the dc component of Vo.

Answer: 10mA; 3.18V

Reply to
Irfan

They are assuming a perfect diode otherwise I (peak) is approximately 9.3 ma not 10 ma. With a perfect diode I (peak) = V(in) / R à 10V/1K = 10 ma.

Dc component of Vout is simply Vavg /2 = (10 * 0.63)/2. We're dividing by 2 because we're passing only one alternation (positive) per cycle (half-wave rectification).

Hope this helps

Dorian

Reply to
Dorian McIntire

Peak current:

Ipeak = Vpeak/R = 10V/1K = 10mA

DC component of Vo is the average, so averaging the voltage over a complete cycle (2pi radians) and noting that due to the action of the diode the output voltage will be zero when the angle is pi < q < 2pi we have:

Vdc = (1/2pi)*INT[0-->pi,Vi*sin(q)dq] = 3.183V

Reply to
Greg Neill

Assuming an ideal diode (no voltage drop in the forward direction) the peak resistor current is the peak signal voltage divided by the resistance, or 10 / 1000 = 0.010 ==> 10 mA

The DC component of Vo is the average value of Vo. To find the average value of a waveform, divide "the area between the curve and the horizontal axis" by the period of the waveform. The area of one alternation of a sine wave is 2 times the peak amplitude. The distance along one period of any sine wave is 2 times pi. So the average value is (2 * 10) / (2 * pi) = 20 / 6.28 = 3.18.

Reply to
Bob Penoyer