Noise and osci in audio amp

Hello!

Maybe you can help me with this:

My audio amplifier sounds bad: it sounds like it is overdriven, but not always, meaning not with every music.

And the other thing: It oscillates on 66kHz.

Can this oscillation on such a not audible frequency be the cause for the distortion?

I would guess that it could be a bad capacitor but I don't know a way to check if a capacitor is still healthy without removing it from the circuit.. Do you?

Is it possible that a semiconductor is only "a bit" broken so that the amp still works but just sounds bad?

Thank you very much! Dominik

Reply to
Dominik Werder

Yes.

Do you have decent power supply decoupling ?

No.

It could be many, many things including poor layout. Power amplifiers are noriously tricky for the inexperienced to get right.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Power supply has a torodial transformer and big capacitors, there is no oscillation on power supply lines. Is it that what you mean?

That's good..

I simulated the whole thing with spice and the real thing behaves like the simulated one, at least as far as you look at the operating point.

I just don't know where's the best place to start debugging.. Maybe you have some idea so that I don't have to disassemble the whole thing and check each component..

bye! Dominik

Reply to
Dominik Werder

Sometimes already a little re-soldering helps.

Regards Steffen

Reply to
Steffen Buehler

Are you sure your amp is working in the linear region? Cause some music is more dynamic then others and can distort the amp even though they seem to sound at the same level.

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

He already told you that it is oscillating.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You need to find out what is causing the oscillation before you destroy the amp. Add some .01 uF capacitors across the electrolytics, and check your layout. If there are any Op Amps in there, make sure to bypass the two power rails to ground with .01 uF capacitors. Electrolytics can have a high ESL, which means that they will not pass the higher frequencies to ground properly.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Capacitors across the capacitors, or is that a typo?

You mean bypassing the power rails of the Op Amps, right?

Sorry to butt in. I'm curious too, because I have troubles with oscillation in some of my audio circuits.

thx

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

But that's some of your problem. You assume it's a bad component, when as some have explained, there are far more obvious things to check before bad components.

As has been said, layout is important. If the output gets too close to the input, that will make it oscillate. If the amplifier IC (I forget whether an IC is involved) isn't properly bypassed at the power terminal, then it may oscillate. If you're wiring isn't so great, leads too long that go all over the place, then that may cause oscillation. If you're trying this on a breadboard, the use of the breadboard may cause the oscillation (because it places the components too close together, or because it may not provide enough pathway for the power). It may be a design that actually needs some sort of circuitry to prevent oscillation; it used to be common to see IC amplifiers with a resistor and capacitor in series from the output to ground to ensure there'd be no oscillation.

It would have to be some very odd set of circumstances for a semiconductor device to fail in such a way that it would cause oscillation.

A bad bypass capacitor might cause oscillation, because then it can't do it's job, but that really falls under the category of proper bypassing.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

It's because the electrolytics have too much inductance (due to construction methods) to be effective at higher frequencies. So the electrolytic will take care of low frequency matters, but start to lose effectiveness at higher frequencies. Hence, you put a low value capacitor in parallel. That low value capacitor will be lousy to deal with low frequencies (because it's a low value capacitor), but at higher frequencies it will fine since it will it be a .01uF or whatever the value through the range and up further.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

I see....

Does it matter so much if the .01uf is ceramic or mylar?

thx

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

Not a whole lot. What do you have on hand? The mylar have a little more inductance, but they can be used in most places. These days SMD parts are used, and ceramic is the preferred type.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Is it necessarily true that the oscillations are equivilent to the amp(I'm thinking of an op amp or transistor amp used int the amplification and not the whole amp circuit) not working in the linear region?

i.e., we can have oscillations that still allow the amp to work in the linear region? and we can the amp working in the non-linear region and have no oscillations? It seems to me that there are more things possible like he could have set is q point in the wrong place and its causing distortion but the oscillations could be caused from something else?

Note, I'm not claiming I know the answer and just know a little about amps(mostly the basics. I do understand how oscillations can cause distortion as they increase the overall amplitude of the signal. I just don't if oscillations are almost always the cause of designing an amp to work in the non-linear region?

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

Lesee, how was the phrase put to me a little bit ago....

"All amplifiers oscillate, and all oscillators amplify".

To answer your question, yes you can have oscillations when the amp is in linear mode, and AFAIK it would be more prone to oscillate when everything's biased right, etc. I've built guitar pedals that whistle dixie so effing loud that you can use them to saw a tree in half at fifty paces- yet i can still play through them.

Some of them even quiet down when you hit them with signal, but my most recent high-gain distortion pedal would actually get the 2nd stage transistor biasing disrupted by the oscillations- blatty gated sound.

I don't know if you mentioned it and I missed it, or not- Is this amp your design, or something you've purchased?

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

I bet there is that 66 kHz there if you look closely actually. Crank up the oscilloscope gain.

Not exactly - no.

The impedance of the supply needs to be low at high frequencies too. This almost invariably requires 'local decoupling' of the power supply with film caps typically close to the active circuitry.

Spice is *completely useless* for simulating the real world.

You don't need to do that. You *do* however need experience. It's quite unlilely to be a component and very likely to be layout or a design oversight. You should check your 'earth' paths too ( which have finite resistance ) to make sure you're not coupling the output back to the input.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The oscillation is quite likely close to the amplifier's slew rate limit thus making the amp much less linear than it should be.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

When a power amplifier is oscillating, it is running near, or at the full output level. This causes heating in the outputs, and the ultrasonics can burn out the speaker(s). When you add a lower frequency signal, you are modulating the oscillation which may or may not sound OK, but it is not the proper way to run any amplifier.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My experience with ceramics at higher voltages is not so good. They tend to self-combust.

Use any plastic film cap and it should really be at least 0.1uF.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How much high voltage surface mount work do you see?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Many thanks for your tips!! I checked the layout but from my unexperienced point of view it should be ok, output is at least 5cm away from input.

I tried several things like resoldering nodes that didn't looked that good and exchanging capacitors, but I couldn't find the real cause.

Debugging is especially painful because I have no own oscilloscope, therefore I need to carry the amp to the lab at monday..

But again, thank you very much! Dominik

Reply to
Dominik Werder