LM317M

or

No, it is not normal, since the middle pin (on the TO-220 package) is the output. See:

page 2.

But the tab is also the output, so if there is a connection to the tab, then it is possible for it to be used without the middle pin. Is the pin cut off, or blown (melted) off?

These are quite common and not very expensive.

--
John Popelish
Reply to

Hi all,

I have a dead Yamaha soundcard with an LM317M chip, and the chip has the middle leg missing.. just wondering is this a normal thing (ie. delibaretly removed) or would this be the reason the card is dead ? if so is it easy to get a replacement ?

Regards, Chris

Reply to
Skeleton Man

Looks like it's normal... mine matches the D-Pak package which doesn't use the middle pin.. and the tab is connected too.. I mistook it for being broken.. tho why they leave like 1mm of pin still there I'd like to know ?

Thanks for the help... looks like whatver the problem is, isn't visible.. (I do realise the card is worth all of 10 bux, but next time it might be a $100 card that goes and you wouldn't just toss that..)

Regards, Chris

Reply to
Skeleton Man

or

I suspect this is not the famous LM317 voltage regulator, but some proprietary component.

Dominic

Reply to
Dominic-Luc Webb