Unknown "transistor" in TO92-package

Greetings

I pillaged a dead TV for components yesterday. I found a "transistor", TO92-package, with no middle leg. That is, it looks like an ordinary bipolar transistor, but the middle leg is gone. Its printing is "N38 (new row) T" and nothing else. Google gave me no hope.

Anyone know what this component is?

--
Sincerely,                      |                http://bos.hack.org/cv/
Rikard Bosnjakovic              |         Code chef - will cook for food

Might be a varactor diode. Or some other kind of two-leaded semiconductor device. ;-)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It's an ICP - Integrated Circuit Protector. Semiconductor fuse, in other words.

The N indicates (I think) anti-surge, and 38 is the rating devided by

40, so this is a 1.5 Amp.

"ICP-N38" is the device to ask for.

--

rgds
LAurence

...My other teleporter is a TransMat
Reply to
Laurence Taylor

"Rikard Bosnjakovic" skrev i melding news:Ilq9f.149644$ snipped-for-privacy@newsc.telia.net...

Probably a diode. Not 100 prc sure about it. Don't you have a diode tester to test it?

Reply to
Geir Klemetsen

(new

food

--
Varicaps AKA varactors or variable capacitance diodes commonly come in
this package.  It could also be a regular or zener diode, or even an IR

"transistor",

Excellent info, Laurence. I've seen these protectors come in blockish shaped transistor sized cases, but never in TO-92. Good to know the formula for the current, also. Thanks.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th