LEDs in parallel

You're an idiot. Go away, little boy.

Reply to
Bart!

Which is why we see you "hanging with" John, particularly in the midst of his dishonorable moments, which is nearly always.

You are pathetic. A coattail hanging twit, if there ever was one.

Reply to
Bart!

Hey, I like Wal-Mart. Too bad there are none nearby. We go to the ones in Sacramanto or Reno when we're in the neighborhood.

Which means that you don't know how your flashlight works, and you're not interested anyhow.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Then start by understanding how they work. How does your high-end flashlight regulate LED current?

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It must be hell to be manic depressive. ...Jim Thompson

         I do not suffer from stress, but I am a carrier.

Nah, some of my favourite transistors are bipolar.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

DimBulb didn't this time, either.

When has knowledge ever had anything to do with AlwaysWrong's screeching on?

Certainly mightier than Nymbecile's limp-wristed threats.

But not unexpected. It's the thought of a little knowledge that's really got his back hair in a bun.

Come on. Dimbulb couldn't calculate the resistance of an LED's ballast resistor. He's called DimBulb for a reason.

Back of the line. Back of the line.

Reply to
krw

Mine, too >:-} ...Jim Thompson

You're correct to assume so, I hang with the best!

At least you got something correct, for a change.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

:)

Reply to
Jamie

Me too. The unipolar ones are just, well, weird.

Reply to
krw

Which Colt motto? There seem to be a number of them.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I assume "It works every time!" (*)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*)

Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So far, life has been a huge amount of fun. But what does that have to do with diodes?

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The same as talking amps of current in a 1N4148. ...Jim Thompson

The first sign of senility is persistently trying to be an asshole

The second sign of senility is touting your company's wonderful
circuit designs as your own, while posting amateur crap on S.E.D

The third sign is acting like Polly Prissypants :-)

The datasheets I linked to go to 500 and 800 mA. Presumably those were pulsed measurements, but don't say so.

But what is a 1N4148 anyhow? I suppose JEDEC specs exist, but I've never seen one. And if JEDEC defines the part, where's the enforcement? What keeps some Chinese chop shop from shipping anything they care to call a 1N4148?

We have a number of cases where we have stock numbers for, say, a generic 2N7002, and another stock number for a Fairchild 2N7002, because sometimes it matters. It's safer to use a house number than a

1N or 2N number, if performance really matters.

I remember the classic 2N3055 fiasco, when people started selling tiny epitaxial parts in aluminum cans as "2N3055", and they tended to blow up.

Hmmm, I don't seem to use many 1N4148s. They appear on only about 10 of our 800 BOMs. The MELF version on even fewer. We do use a ton of BAV types.

Anybody know how, say, a BAV99 is defined and enforced?

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Unfortunately you do indeed need to evaluate each vendor's version... in the mid '70's, at GenRad, I blacklisted Motorola's version of the LM324 as absolute crap. ...Jim Thompson

Of course there is, since "obvious" is relative and the annotation is
incorrect and requires disambiguation from the reader before the
proper value can be discerned.
Reply to
John Fields

Which part are we being subjected to ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Ummm... Performance.

You need to wonder?

That was a completely different animal. Money was to be made from that differential. It is a bit harder to make the smallest form factor glass diode (from the axial days). They have to fit inside the package and they have to work. It is a pretty tight window.

It, and the specs it had are one of the most commonly used diodes there is. It is a "small signal" purpose device, so all you surface mount and even integrated diodes would follow its spec to a degree as the switch from discreet TTL to integrated devices came to being. Of course the elements are far smaller now.

But the effect they had on the industry made its way into nearly everything you have.

Is it the 1N4148?

It is certain that the original maker released a spec and the contract fabs follow(ed) it. To easy to shoot oneself in the foot these days.

I doubt there is so much actual fakery going on as there used to be. Nowadays, they sell you outright failures that had zero cost attached.

Don't see many chips being reverse engineered anymoreeither.By the time they chop off the lid and analyze it, it is obsolete and the next great chip is out. It costs far too much to risk so many assets trying to reverse engineer a chip.

But a diode isn't a chip.

But a 1N4148 isn't that hard to make and get right either.

Reply to
FigureItOut