LEDs in parallel

Okay, Nym's had his shot.

There are several LED flashlight schemes. The crudest connect 3 series cells to the LEDs, relying on the cells' series resistance and the LEDs resistance. Some add series resistors. If you parallel enough LEDs they can handle 3xAAA in series, but as soon as one LED fails, the rest rapidly die.

Boost converter schemes apply either constant voltage, constant voltage from a current mode boost, or current mode boost, in order of sophistication.

More sophisticated schemes modulate the converter, for multiple power settings.

None use 555s AFAIK.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yeah. RCA made some of the earliest mesa parts. Fairchild never made them, but pioneered epitaxy.

RL

Reply to
legg

*Guffaw!*
Reply to
JW

oh. good point.

--

John Larkin, President Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

That's because, as everyone knows, 555s are obsolete. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Then what stops them?

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yup. The slope is just about 1 ohm. The dynamic impedance of a PN junction is 1 ohm at 25 mA.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Closer to 26mA ;-) ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

1 ohm is a pretty good number for a small junction. I measured a 2n3904 about the same.

Neat, how the resistance goes to ~1.5 ohms at ~450K.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

[snip]

Precise small-signal slope (assuming no resistive part) is kT/qI, or ~26/I(in mA) at 300°K ...Jim Thompson

Tada!

Reply to
Jupiter Jaq

quoted text -

Yup, the ohmic part has a positive TC.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
[...] the usual whinging.

Yawn.

Reply to
JW

quoted text -

Huh? It does, but George was taking about the kT/qI portion...

450/300=1.5 ;-) ...Jim Thompson

ave to

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 =A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0|

Opps, I was talking about the resistive part. It should also scale with the absolute temperature, if the resistance is from some hunk of 'metal'.

Figure 3 in the 1n4148 data sheet that someone linked to.

(I'd just been thinking about the Wiedeman-Franz law from Jamie's MAF post.)

George H.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

Reply to
George Herold

quoted text -

Yes, I thought you were. JT's comment didn't make sense.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That's British for "whining", isn't it? How is that pronounced?

--

John Larkin, President Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

Sometimes a troll is just a troll...

Michael A. Terrell

So are Slomans. Museum pieces, in fact.

Michael A. Terrell

[snip]

Why? Because you don't understand kT/qI ?:-)

Perfect diode, no resistive term, DYNAMIC impedance scales linearly with temperature (°K). So a perfect diode operating a 26mA at 300°K has a DYNAMIC impedance of 1 Ohm; and 1.5 Ohm DYNAMIC impedance at

450°K.

Perhaps someone would plot 1N4148 forward drop on LOG paper so we can easily see the bulk R breakpoint (and the _dirt_ at low currents, the ISR coefficient in the model). ...Jim Thompson