HP DeskJet 660C

Found one dumped and as i don't use one and never used one thought i'd have a go repairing or at least learning something about these things. As stand alone not connected to pc it powers up , lights come up and seems to go through a self check routine. Pushing power-off and it parks up and powers down. Flashing Yellow LED presumably indicates paper out whether a sheet in and grabbed by the drop down black plastic bar mechanism or at entry only. I cannot find what senses paper-in. If while switched off and i manually feed a sheet in then it will eject that sheet after selftest on power up but not register any sheets under it. There has obviously been a flood of green? dye at some point, not over any circuitry or lines. Green?, as dye heads are present , one is black and the other yellow+red+blue.

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list on

N Cook

You are probably getting ink errors of some sort.

NSM

Not sure about the 660C but just worked an 825C that it seemed like the cartridges were bad based on the self diagnostic and test page (see the HP site on how to run these). So I tried to replace the ink cartridge with a generic that works in my 827Cse and listed as working for the

800 series but got that flashing yellow light. I Freecycled this and the guy I gave it to said it worked fine after he put in new OEM cartridges. Richard
Reply to
spudnuty

The green ink has come from a small tank with a sponge immediately next the parking area. Presumably a test squirt point for all inks.

The black cartridge has ink in it by shaking. The color/colour one seems empty by shaking.

I assume just the paper-in sensor at the top and if fails to complete self-test, yellow flashing LED then it will not grab a sheet. So no paper out sensor as such.

Reply to
N Cook

This HP support site seems to support the theory that it's a ink cartridge recognition:

and you're right that sponge catches the ink when it does a cleaning cycle. Can you get your computer to recognize the printer? If so what does the utility say is the status of the ink cartridges? I've hear there are chips that can be hacked. There are sites that talk about this for making a printer continuous feed.

Reply to
spudnuty

I cleaned the active micro-perforated bits of black and colour cartridges and replaced them, powered up and yellow LED stopped flashing so i held down the 'resume' button for 5 seconds and the machine printed out a black test page.

I'll have to now connect to a pc and also find out about refilling the cartridges

Reply to
N Cook

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:41:44 +0100, "N Cook" wrote as underneath my scribble :

You might find the following site useful if you are doing any dismantling/tests of your HP660C!

NB IF the cartridges have been airlocked or run dry just refilling will not do the trick-inkjet elements burn out if not wet and this may be the case with your carts - u might have to buy some new ones!! Expensive! chas

Reply to
Charlie+