How to stop Piracy?

Several days ago, I got one call from my under-classmate in Notre Dame. Now he worked as the sales director in one famous design software company. He asked me about the electronic design industry in China. He told me that everyone knows that China is a huge market but most company hesitates to enter China market due to piracy.

Everyone knows that piracy has a significant impact on the high-tech industry, resulting in lost jobs, decreased innovation and higher costs. As a Chinese who has been working in USA for more than 10 yrs, I understand his worry and I also believe Chinese government has realized this. But it seems a mission impossible to stop piracy in a country like China. But could anyone tell me what's the best way to solve the piracy problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Seeking for a customer centered PCB fabricator with high-quality and most cost-effective service? SynKore is your perfect option! Send email to snipped-for-privacy@synkore.com or visit

synkore

Pre-emptive nuke strike???

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

hahahahhahhhaa, gold!

Reply to
Simon Scott

Dear Sirs, We have obtained your address from your website by chance and we write to introduce ourselves as one of largest manufacturer, from China, of a wide range of LCD & LCM. Considering the improvements it offers, we believe you will find our HUAXIAN a very good product. Because we have always been faithful in carrying out its contracts, reasonable in price, superior in quality, timely in delivery, flexible in trade, the Corp. Serves clients wholeheartedly. Foreign friends are warmly welcome to establish trade ties. It will be a great pleasure to receive your inquiries for any of the items against which we will send you our lowest quotations. Yours faithfully, Sophie Sales manager Qingdao Seako Electronics Co., LTD HUAXIAN PHOTOELECTRIC CO., LTD Qingdao Branch

402, No 1009 Dalao Road, Qingdao, China Tel: +86-532-87061859 Fax: +86-532-87061859 MSN:sophie snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Email:qd snipped-for-privacy@126.com
Reply to
Sophie

one way ... make it cheap enough so its not profitable for them copy it.

of course with the high cost of development and huge advertising campaigns there has to be a lot of profit to recoup those costs, the extra cost involved due to duplication of engineering effort due to comercial secrecy and intelectual property issues seems to backfire here.

the bigest problem as far as I am concerned is that fake goods are often far inferior in many ways, and sometimes you dont know what you are getting.

Colin.

Reply to
colin

As far as economic pressures, morals, etc... I dont know. But technically speaking I think theres really only one way that might actually work for software and that could be done today. This is the scheme using public key encryption where the decryption is done internally by the processor. The code is never exposed on any external bus. It is decrypted on the fly inside the processor. Every processor has its own key, and every piece of software would have to be prepped and packaged just for that processor.

But processor costs would go up in terms of $, watts, complexity. So would software. And it won't work for video or music because they can always be intercepted in analog form. Myself, I would never buy such a chip and I bet I'm not alone. The industry would have to force it on us.

..and theoretically a lab with enough resources could probe inside the chip and intercept decrypted data. I would not be surprised on the day this happened.

Microsoft NGSCB/Paladium is headed in this direction. But as far as I can tell the TPM, coprocessor which stores keys and stuff, is not going to be within the CPU. Sounds like it is a separate chip.

Personally I wonder how many pirates would buy and use software if there was just no way to pirate it. With all the great open source apps these days I would think they'd just switch to lunix. but i could be wrong ;) Say is this just some kind of spam for PCBs? heh i just noticed that.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
trips