help needed to identify an IC

Hello, I have an IC I want to identify. Here's the problem. I have a machine that uses a Xenon pulsed arc light, the markings have been ground off by the vendor of the machine. The ic is mounted on a small pcb with a four pin connector and to be replaced when the bulb is replaced to reset a use counter. The IC appears to be used to count the bulb usage somehow and trigger an indicator when the bulb needs to be replaced. The (non US) machine vendor is no longer in business and I can't get the ic board anymore. The bulbs are std and readily available so I want to either reset or replace the ic board.

The IC is an 8 pin DIL with a semicircle notch at one end. With semicircle marker at the top, all the left hand (four) pins and pin 2 down from the marker on the right side are wired together and onward to one of the connector pins. The remaining three pins on the right, 1,3,4 down from the semicircle marker each go to one of the remaining pins on the connector.

I've not yet opened up the machine to see what the board connects to.

Any ideas appreciated..

Reply to
Jerry

Sounds like an I2C EEPROM.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Why not do without the IC board and install an hour meter to show time usage?

Reply to
ericwhit

it's a PIC or AVR tiny chip..

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

At first I thought PIC, but it would not be connected as described by you. It is almost certainly a EEPROM, such as 24C16 or similar. However, just changing it is unlikely to help. It was probably preprogrammed by the manufacturer before installation as most of them are.

Reply to
Colin

"Colin" wrote in news:pFdAh.8564$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

Thanks to all who replied. It is an I2C eeprom, I think a 24Cxx. I'm going to try and make a reader/programmer and see if I can't read what's on there and figure out what the programming might be.

thanks again

Reply to
Jerry