help?

I have a concept that may be viable and need someone who knows electronics way better than I do to see if it will fly.

This thing will have a variable AC voltage input that will go through a diode bridge to be converted to pulsed DC.

The pulsed DC will go to a boost circuit to boost it to 4-5 vdc output.

the 4-5 vdc output will go to a charger circuit that will top off 3 a small battery (2-3 cells).

the cells will power a very low power radio that will wake up every few seconds and report it's status. (that's beyond the scope of my concept).

Thanks! Stu

Reply to
stubones99

(snip)

You might do a Google search for the key words [boost converter tutorial]. The thing to keep in mind is that voltage is not power. Power is the product of voltage times current. As the boost converter raises the voltage by some factor, the available output current declines by at least as large a factor with respect to the input current. So if the raw DC is about 3 volts and the output voltage is raised to about 5 volts, the output current will be less than 3/5ths of the input current.

Reply to
John Popelish

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 14:07:16 -0000 in sci.electronics.basics, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote,

Compare the concepts at: