EVs Will Soon Be Vastly Cheaper To Own Than Carbon Fuel Vehicles

Daimler and others already pointed out that the battery upon which Tesla's e-Semi is based does not exist. Tesla isn't just hoping a better battery will appear, however. They have good information on it and it isn't all that insider:

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Smart people will invest in the tow truck business.

lunatic fringe electronics

Or trucks with engine/generators.

Reply to
default

John Larkin wrote on 12/4/2017 11:34 AM:

Ok, so what will you be doing?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

default wrote on 12/4/2017 10:15 PM:

I'm still considering getting a Tesla. I'll be able to buy a Model 3 with the current standard package in 3 or 4 months or I can wait a bit longer and buy one the way I want it configured. I need to look at the options a bit harder to see if waiting is worth it or not. I also want to get more info on just how different the Model 3 is from the Model S or X. With a range of

310 miles there won't be much problem getting from refueling station to station even on long trips. The 480 mile trip has five options for refueling which only needs to be done once, same as in my truck with a 440 mile range.
--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Toyota claims they have a solid state Li-Ion battery coming out next year and a Stanford-Taiwanese group claim they will have an aluminum battery about the same time. Goodenough and a Swiss firm claim they have a Na-ion battery but that'll be 10 years.

An EV may work out even if you make two long trips / month in a rental.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Even with short range & long charging times EV tow trucks make sense right now as they generally don't go far.

Reply to
Bret Cahill

I'm sure they'll work it out. The market demands it, presumably with all the different technologies manufacturers should be starting to set some charging and connector or whatever standards today. Or maybe they plan to play the old vhs/beta game with incompatible competing technologies?

Reply to
default

Or small gas turbine APU's that they could drop off with stranded motorists, that they just chuck in the trunk and return when they can.

There's lots of ways to make this work. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Reply to
default

Liquid electricity ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Bret Cahill wrote on 12/5/2017 12:00 PM:

Is Toyota saying they will have a battery out or a car out with that battery? Two very different things. Having a battery out in 10 years is not much different from saying it will be out in 100 years.

Why would I use a rental to avoid a 30 minute recharge on an 8 hour trip? I typically stop to eat anyway. Not only has Tesla built a large network of super chargers, local vendors are sponsoring them to attract customers. Tesla has already committed to doubling the number of chargers in 2018. Expect the number of chargers to triple over the next two or three years.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

default wrote on 12/5/2017 1:32 PM:

WTF??? I can count on one hand how many times I've run out of gas in my life and all but one of those was when I was a dumb kid. One time I ran out of gas because I had a shipping deadline to make and would have missed if I got gas *before* I dropped off the package and then didn't have quite enough gas to get to the gas station. The EV is a very "smart" car which will allow you to keep in very close touch with your consumption and range and distance to public facilities, not to mention that you can put some minimal amount of charge on the batteries even from a 110 volt outlet. It may be a while getting some charge, but being stranded is something that should happen less often with an EV than a gas powered car. There are more 110 outlets in a single city than all the gas stations in the entire USA.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

That's not what I meant.

lunatic fringe electronics

John Larkin wrote on 12/6/2017 12:07 AM:

No, he wasn't trying to make sense.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Tesla's e-Semi is based does not exist. Tesla isn't just hoping a better b attery will appear, however. They have good information on it and it isn't all that insider:

with

er and

ar and a Stanford-Taiwanese group claim they will have an aluminum battery about the same time. Goodenough and a Swiss firm claim they have a Na-ion battery but that'll be 10 years.

If Toyota isn't smart enough to design one component to fit the others how did they ever get ICE under the hood?

How many different cell phone battery sizes are out there? A gazillion? Th ey need to get together like they did for USB, HDTV and other connectors an d agree on a half dozen sizes for PDAs. Then do the same for motor vehicle batteries. Shipping used vehicle batteries is prohibitively expensive on Ebay.

Solid state by next year and Toyota isn't known for making bogus claims, ju st the opposite. Just a few years ago the Japanese were saying they couldn 't get off carbon and now it turns out they are leading the way.

As William Faulkner said people need to be encouraged.

info

nge of

440

Drivers shouldn't be on the I-5 or 99 for more than 8 hours w/o a break any way. Every time you drive to NorCal you regret not flying and every time y ou fly you regret not driving. Low speed rail takes 24 hours.

You can go anywhere in the Sonoran Desert by EV, at least North of the bord er.

Tesla tried the charming "build it and they will come" approach with EVs an d it actually worked!

You really need an EV market in place before they'll have the fire in the b elly to come up with better batteries, charging stations, etc.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Fire engines are another likely EV candidate.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Bret Cahill wrote on 12/7/2017 11:42 AM:

Cell phone have very little in common with cars. Not sure what your point is.

I'm not clear on what Toyota is claiming, hence my question.

None of this makes much sense to anyone who isn't from your area. Are you in the US?

Yeah, they are in the final stage of having a high volume, mass production EV on the market unlike GM or any of the other companies. GM's approach is amazing. "Build part of it and don't market much and see if it will fail". I won't buy a Bolt because GM is only selling a car and not a solution. They are depending on others to take care of the issues of getting the cars charged.

Who's "they"? Tesla is doing it all. Tesla is the only car company that understands the market in my opinion. Everyone else is working on building and selling EVs exactly the same way they sell gas cars. That won't work.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

h Tesla's e-Semi is based does not exist. Tesla isn't just hoping a better battery will appear, however. They have good information on it and it isn 't all that insider:

3 with

nger and

year and a Stanford-Taiwanese group claim they will have an aluminum batter y about the same time. Goodenough and a Swiss firm claim they have a Na-io n battery but that'll be 10 years.

how did they ever get ICE under the hood?

They need to get together like they did for USB, HDTV and other connector s and agree on a half dozen sizes for PDAs. Then do the same for motor veh icle batteries. Shipping used vehicle batteries is prohibitively expensive on Ebay.

t is.

, just the opposite. Just a few years ago the Japanese were saying they co uldn't get off carbon and now it turns out they are leading the way.

e info

range of

a 440

l.

ip? I

anyway. Every time you drive to NorCal you regret not flying and every ti me you fly you regret not driving. Low speed rail takes 24 hours.

.

border.

.

rs.

s and it actually worked!

is

".

I once asked a relative of the manager of the largest engine plant in the w orld if the politics at GM was really that bad, already the stuff of course work, books and PhD papers.

He cringed with this grim don't even think about fixing it look. No matter what any CEO tried, he'd get out flanked by underlings.

Years later he said he'd be better off as a failed entrepreneur than work a t GM.

rs

he belly to come up with better batteries, charging stations, etc.

ng

.

The others either figger it out or go t*ts up. Battery + solar is already cheaper than diesel.

The e semi makes even more sense than passenger EV.

You don't take side trips on a lark in a heavy truck. Everything is planne d so there's no such thing as range anxiety. Since a commercial vehicle sp ends so much time on the road the payback is much faster, financing easier.

A heavy truck gets 100 ton miles/gallon or with an e semi 8 ton miles/ kW-h r.

That's about $1.80 for 15 cents/kW-hr grid electricity + $1.20 for the batt ery for 100 ton miles.

Solar PV is only a few cents/kW-hr. so the total there is already cheaper t han $2.50/gallon diesel and battery costs are still going down.

Supposedly Mexico will soon have the cheapest electricity on the planet:

1 cent/kW-hr.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Bret Cahill

Bret Cahill wrote on 12/7/2017 8:29 PM:

"The new batteries, which have more than twice the energy density of lithium ion units, could power electric vehicles more than 300 miles on a single charge and enter production in the early 2020s, top engineers at the company said.

Since 2012, Toyota has managed a fivefold increase in the power output of its experimental solid-state batteries, Senior Managing Officer Soichiro Okudaira told a conference here.

The current coin-sized cell is still in the laboratory stage. But Toyota expects the technology to be ready for cars in the early 2020s, Hideki Iba, general manager for the Japanese carmaker's battery research division, said separately. "

So this new battery won't be in cars for some five or more years.

"Looking further ahead, Toyota is working on so-called lithium air batteries, which have energy densities around 1,000 watt-hours per liter. Their power output is on par with solid-state units.

In lithium air batteries, the lithium cathode used in lithium ion batteries is replaced with one that interacts with oxygen. This requires less material and allows for lighter packaging.

Toyota projected those would be ready after 2030."

This is even worse, with such a long lead time it might end up not being practical for auto use.

Read the book, "The Reckoning" by David Halberstam. If you think GM is bad, I bet Ford is worse.

Huge, mega-companies like GM don't have to do everything right. Look at all the many, many screwups by Intel which they just toss on the trash heap. Heck, at one point they sold their ARM license to one of the companies who is now eating their lunch!

GM will sell the Bolt and possibly improve it and come out with another model or two while everyone else (hopefully everyone) learns the nature of the market and adapts. GM won't go "t*ts up", they will just loose money on it for many years ahead before they end up buying cars from someone else and rebranding them.