Pi3 cheaper than Pi2, any idea why?

I've noticed that at least on Amazon, Raspberry Pi 3's are cheaper than 2's. Especially in the bundles of Pi, case, power supply and maybe microSD card.

Given that the 3 is considerably more capable than the 2 I'm wondering if there's some sort of gotcha in the 3, like maybe software issues.....

Thanks for reading, and any thoughts.

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Nothing like that; probably just cheaper because it's the current model and the makers strive to make each one as cheaply as possible. The software you run on it is up to you.

Reply to
Bob Martin

indeed the reason why the older models are still available is to support people who have integrated them into products so they are not continuously forced to redesign. (shame more manufacturers are not that considerate)

--
I can't seem to bring myself to say, "Well, I guess I'll be toddling
along."

There are some minor software issues due to the ARMv8 core, but this only affects OS level code. All the major OS's have been updated for the Pi3, so only a problem if you want to use a more obscure OS that hasn't been fixed yet.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Aye, there's the rub.

Thanks for replying,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Or you need the platform with a lower current demand from the PSU...

--
Cheers,

John.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Rumm

For the application of mine which I use Pi's, I don't need any more resources than the original Pi. Pi-zero + Ethernet would be ideal. I may look at using Pi zeros with USB ethernet 10/100 NIC, but at the moment I buy Pi 3's because that's what's easily available.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

Or one of the ENC28J60 breakout boards hung off the SPI bus? OK only

10BaseT but for most things that is ample.
Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

E.g.

(for half that price on the Chinese websites, but there are a lot of different ones, not all of them might work well)

Reply to
A. Dumas

+1

I got mine from a Chinese site on ebay, works perfectly (once I plugged it in the right hole).

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Reply to

Which is "the right hole?" And why?

--
Jim H
Reply to

Two micro-USB connectors side by side on the Pi Zero: one for power, one for data.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Can the zero be powered through the active USB connector? I'm wondering if a powered USB hub could also provide power? I'm guessing not as the current on the USB line is limited to half an amp and I think the pi needs more like 2 total... but maybe this might work for the zero. Since the hub is powering all the USB devices, I expect the small current to power the pi zero could easily be provided by the hub over the USB port.

So anyone try that? I think I have a powered hub here. I may try it myself.

--

Rick C
Reply to

The Zero can be powered through either USB connector.

Only one has data though...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson