electronic box

Hello When I make my electronic stuff I often have a problem to get a box to put it in : They are expensive an often inapropriate. So I prefer to use a video tape box/cover (I don't now the exact translation) and tune it to receive my electronic card, switches, screens, buttons ,etc. It is inexpensive, and easy to modify.

So I am thinking of designing a plastic video tape cover like specially designed for electronic integration of cards, components, switches, batteriess, fan, cables, plugs, and other electronic stuff

I wonder if there is a market for this. Would you, hobbist, interested by such a cheap cover to include all you stuff easily ?

The box would have rails to guide european format cards, pre drilled holes for fixation, a 9V and 4x1.5v reserved space to place your batteries and so on.

Thank you for you answers even if not interested.

Emmanuel

Reply to
Emmanuel

You can build in tin cans, use a piece of copper circuit board as the front panel. You can make boxes out of that circuit board, works quite nicely. You can pull power supplies out of computers, the boxes they are in are often more valuable than the power supply (given there are so many, given you don't usually need so much power) again slap a piece of circuit board over the front to make a clean panel.

Watch for satellite receivers being tossed out. Those make a deep but short box for reuse. Cable converters are plentiful in the garbage or at garage sales, though I don't find the boxes too appealing for reuse. Any piece of equipment pulled from the garbage has potential to be reused as a case, cassette decks, car radios, stereo amplifers and receivers. We're bound to start seeing DVD players in the garbage, and some of those can offer up quite nice and small cases. VCRs for larger ones, and if you're lucky the power supply is on a separate board so you can keep it intact to power something else (this holds true for a lot of consumer items too).

Sometimes CD and DVD drives for computers have a full metal case when you remove the plastic bits, and those can be used for cases.

One could even use computer cases, so easy to find tossed out, for even larger projects.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

"Emmanuel" schreef in bericht news:4b6ef509$0$23020$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Don't think so. For hobby electronics there are plenty other possibilities. Only for small series in a project for instance you may need uniform boxes. Besides, the old video tape boxes I have, are too weak and/or too brittle to make a real good electronics enclosure.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

here are some interesting new boxes: