Earth Ground Test ? Hows it work?

Today at work the boss gave me a sheet on doing an "Earth Ground test" I connected at 100 Watt light bulb between 120 volts (hot ) and to ground rod to complete circuit. Next with a didgital(why didgital?) meter connected between AC Neutral from the AC Neutral form the same source and to the ground rod. The meter reading in voltage which is"equat to the rsistance in Ohms between these two points" How is this supposed to work? I was getting 0 on two of the ground rods and 14 or so on another. The 14V and one of the 0 reading where connected by a cable maybe 15 feet long. I didn't think any of these reading could be relied on since for one thing I dind't have a clue about what was going on. Ken

Reply to
clannorm

An Earth ground test measures the soil resistance of a grounding system. Ground rods are often poor connectors to the real "Earth ground." One way to check Earth grounds is to run a load current from hot to Earth ground and then see what the voltage across the load is. An ideal Earth ground would show 120 V source voltage and 120 V load voltage. In other words, the Earth ground is zero ohms. Most Earth grounds are far from ideal.

Reply to
Charles Schuler