Load Near Earth Ground

I'll just learning safety approvals and I'm uncertain about what to do. Here's the problem:

L ----

120VAC offline converter===load N --- + | --- 2.4nf --- Stray capacitance | Also breakdowns ~350VDC Gnd------------------------- +

I have a 'bizarre' load with stray capacitance to earth ground which can breakdown at ~350VDC.

This does not look like it'll pass a typical hi-pot test for a commercial product. :(

What's a nice way to make this passable?

Can I fix it with MOVs and fuses? A MOV from L to G. A MOV from N to G.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

The offline converter usually provide the isolation.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The converter doesn't have an isolation transformer. For example, if the earth ground makes contact with either of the converter outputs ... there's a big poof!

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Then I'd say that there is most likely a serious code violation. The only caps that are allowed between line connections and PE are the X-capacitors and those must usually be rated 4kV for breakdown:

And in applications such as medical you can't even use those.

A stray capacitance that arcs at 350V sounds scary. Probably there is a clearance and/or creepage path violation.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I think so too. I'm looking into that. I'll probably have to change the converter design to use an isolation transformer.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Usually, capacitance from (either side of line) to ground comes from transformer primary winding(s) to its core, which *should be* tied to ground. 2.4nF is a bit large, tho..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Then the converter was not designed to any standard and the menufacturer is exposed to all kinds of legal actions including murder.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yikes...I'm the one who designed and made the converter. :( I'm exploring if I can use a nonisolated converter (no transformer) and pass hi-pot testing. The load has a high surface area in close proximity to earth ground. That's why the breakdown and the capacitance. A believe a hipot test will make the load arc to ground.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

If you can't redesign the load I think that's you only option.