Earth reference

audio

Earth is the 3rd prong on the AC plug. The chassis is connected to this for safety, and often other metal parts like input jacks are connected to the chassis and thus the 3rd prong.

and

The live part usually goes to a transformer (as does the neutral) and is usually rectified to produce a DC (rather than AC) voltage to power the gear in question.

I don't understand your question. It seems like you have already answered it. The metal string of a guitar moves through the magnetic field of the pickup, which induces a current in the wire that is wrapped around the magnet in the pickup. This wire is connected to the output jack, which connects to your gear via the cable.

Reply to
tempus fugit

When it is said that the Earth or Ground is used as a reference in an audio signal what is meant by that? I know that these are the cause of ground loops,but what is the neutral and live part doing in the circuit from the mains? Could you explain the signal relative to a Guitar signal,the pickup,which I know is a magnet and produces a current and how it runs down a cable into the mixer channel etc and how they interact? I know a little of basics but am not advanced?

Thank you

Reply to
Music Man